Concurrent changes

LVR

Hi,

I'm evaluating Resilio Sync for maintaining a local copy of my NAS on my laptop when I'm away and resync it when I'm back on the network.

I made this very simple POC: 1) synchronize the laptop, 2) get the laptop offline , 3) modify a file on the laptop pc, 4) modify the same file on the NAS, 5) reconnect the laptop to the network.

I expected Resilio Sync to warn me about a conflict.

It didn't. It just erased the version on the latpop with the one from the NAS. I guess, because it was newer.

Is there a way to have Resilio either warn about the conflict or, at least, not erasing the local copy (e.g. by making a tagged copy of it) ?

17 hours ago, LVR said:

It didn't. It just erased the version on the latpop with the one from the NAS. I guess, because it was newer.

Old version of the file is moved to Archive, located in .sync inside the shared folder:
https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204754239-Using-Archive-for-file-versioning-and-restoring-deleted-files-

This is how Sync works when processing changes to one file from several peers.

When Sync encounters conflicting files, the file synced from remote is going to have ".Conflict" in its name:
https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204753629-Conflict-files-in-Sync

Thanks for the link. I found the files in the .sync folder.

Nevertheless, i find this approach dangerous. The user should be informed clearly about issues and conflicts.

Like with the Windows Offline Files mechanism:
1226606334_Screenshot2021-05-06182927.png.9aad2af9e8b0aaa9335dd6bd9c57ad22.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, LVR said:

Thanks for the link. I found the files in the .sync folder.

Nevertheless, i find this approach dangerous. The user should be informed clearly about issues and conflicts.

Like with the Windows Offline Files mechanism:
1226606334_Screenshot2021-05-06182927.png.9aad2af9e8b0aaa9335dd6bd9c57ad22.png

Agree - this is a very dangerous approach. I am very surprised there is no warning when there is a conflict. I never found a file in Archive with .Conflict either (in the case that a file is updated separately on both a laptop and a PC and the two are then later sync'd)