Bug reporting

MicEdwards

Is this an appropriate place to discuss bugs in the alpha implementation?

What about general concerns regarding security?

For example, is it really the case that when using BitTorrent Sync, access to a shared (synced) directory is really only protected by a 12 character mixed-case alphanumeric key?

THERE IS SO MUCH POTENTIAL IN THIS STUFF, BE CAREFUL YOU DON"T GET BURNED BY SHIPPING A HOLE LIKE THAT!

Thanks,

Mic

Incorrect displaying of UTF-8 path in Web GUI, that makes selecting non-latin folder unavaliable. You can enter folder path manually, but it will displayed as /volume3/Video/ÐокÑменÑалÑное кино after saving.

Tested both on Linux Ubuntu and Synology NAS.

Here's another bug which I've managed to tickle on the Linux_arm version:

I am syncing a folder on a removable drive, but if the drive is not mounted, SyncApp empties the contents of that shared folder on the other hosts ... because the local folder (which does not exist unless the drive is mounted) is 'empty'.

It seems that you should probably keep some settings for each share inside the share itself, so that the code will not try to sync a folder that is not mounted. Of course, you probably don't want to sync the settings themselves, but it would make sense for a share to be more self-contained.

I have worked-around the problem for now by writing a wrapper which ensures the SyncApp daemon is not started unless the folder is present.

Thanks!

Have updated to the latest version on Raspberry Pi (SyncApp_arm 1.0.67):

1. When I start with a empty folder and link it to a folder being shared by other machines, I do not receive any of the content from the existing folder.

Only content that is added after joining the share, or is updated (for example, renamed), will show up in my RasPi share.

2. Is the option on the command line for the 'config' file path supposed to be the path to the '.sync' directory? I don't think the '.sync' directory should be written into /usr/local/bin where I have copied the binary.

3. When a directory is deleted on a remote machine, it is being emptied, but not deleted on my RasPi.

4. i like the longer secret, but is it enough?? ;-)

I am syncing a folder on a removable drive, but if the drive is not mounted, SyncApp empties the contents of that shared folder on the other hosts ... because the local folder (which does not exist unless the drive is mounted) is 'empty'.

Sync doesn't work well with removable drives right now. So when it can't access folder, it assumes everything was deleted. We will address this.

Have updated to the latest version on Raspberry Pi (SyncApp_arm 1.0.67):

1. When I start with a empty folder and link it to a folder being shared by other machines, I do not receive any of the content from the existing folder.

Only content that is added after joining the share, or is updated (for example, renamed), will show up in my RasPi share.

So, you linked two computers: one with empty folder another one with files in folder, nothing happens. Only new files that are added will be synchronized. Is that right?

2. Is the option on the command line for the 'config' file path supposed to be the path to the '.sync' directory? I don't think the '.sync' directory should be written into /usr/local/bin where I have copied the binary.

We are going to revisit the way we configure Linux client in next version. This will be addressed too.

3. When a directory is deleted on a remote machine, it is being emptied, but not deleted on my RasPi.

4. i like the longer secret, but is it enough?? ;-)

Sync doesn't delete empty directories for now, this will be fixed. As well as the Secret.

Thank you for your reports.

@kos13

An idea to easily solve the removable device issue:

create a .donotdelete file in every synced folder - if this file is not found when a sync session is started, do not sync this folder until the file is found. So a removed - removable device does not cause any problems.

Wuala uses this trick - and it works fine.

So, you linked two computers: one with empty folder another one with files in folder, nothing happens. Only new files that are added will be synchronized. Is that right?

That's right. That's exactly what I saw. Empty computer was a fresh install of 1.0.67 on Linux arm. Other computer was OSX.

I will try to reproduce over the weekend.

We are going to revisit the way we configure Linux client in next version. This will be addressed too.

Cool. This is a bit opaque right now

• 2 months later...