Supported NAS

I've used BitTorrent Sync on a QNap TS-269 Pro via Qnap provided packages. This is an Intel Atom based NAS.

Sometimes, I've replaced the btsync binary with a newer one if Qnap hasn't updated it's package in a while. Just copy it over the previous one and restart the service.

Also, I've added "umask 000" to the Qnap provided btsync.sh init script otherwise files synced by btsync will only be writeable by the admin (root) user. This probably would be useful on all Qnap devices.

Working on Buffalo Linkstation Duo (LS-WXL). You need to change the port of the WebUI however, as you will not get any response from 8888. 8080 works fine. You will also need root access to the device of course, more info at http://buffalo.nas-c...Category:LS-WXL

> wget http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_arm.tar.gz> tar zxvf btsync_arm.tar.gz> chmod u+x btsync> ./btsync --dump-sample-config > config.txt> nano config.txtChange:listen: 0.0.0.0:8888tolisten: 0.0.0.0:8080> ./btsync
you might also have problems with the UPNP port mapping, then just port forward a port on your router, then change:

listening_port: 0use_upnp: truetolistenning_port: YOUR_FORWARDED_PORTuse_upnp: false
If anyone finds a way around the "change the web ui port" thing, please tell me. I have tried adding the ports to /etc/services, but that did not do anything... And you don't have access to iptables on the original firmware.

Noob problems.

Folowed instructions Wizt's post. Btsync is runing on my Buffalo Linkstation LS-XHL, Can't access WebUI though.

My config file:

{   "device_name": "My Sync Device",  "listening_port" : 8080,                       // 0 - randomize port  /* storage_path dir contains auxilliary app files   if no storage_path field: .sync dir created in the directory    where binary is located.   otherwise user-defined directory will be used */  "storage_path" : "/home/user/.sync",// uncomment next line if you want to set location of pid file// "pid_file" : "/var/run/btsync/btsync.pid",  "check_for_updates" : true,   "use_upnp" : false,                              // use UPnP for port mapping/* limits in kB/s   0 - no limit*/  "download_limit" : 0,                         "upload_limit" : 0, /* remove "listen" field to disable WebUI   remove "login" and "password" fields to disable credentials check*/  "webui" :  {    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8080",  }/* !!! if you set shared folders in config file WebUI will be DISABLED !!!   shared directories specified in config file   override the folders previously added from WebUI.*//*  ,  "shared_folders" :  [    {//  use --generate-secret in command line to create new secret      "secret" : "MY_SECRET_1",                   // * required field      "dir" : "/home/user/bittorrent/sync_test", // * required field//  use relay server when direct connection fails      "use_relay_server" : true,      "use_tracker" : true,       "use_dht" : false,      "search_lan" : true,//  enable SyncArchive to store files deleted on remote devices      "use_sync_trash" : true,//  specify hosts to attempt connection without additional search           "known_hosts" :      [        "192.168.1.2:44444"      ]    }  ]*/// Advanced preferences can be added to config file.// Info is available in BitTorrent Sync User Guide.} 

My log file:

[20140611 19:08:04.211] total physical memory -1 max disk cache 2097152[20140611 19:08:04.213] Using IP address 192.168.1.5[20140611 19:08:04.214] Unable to listen for HTTP traffic on port 8888[20140611 19:08:04.215] Loading config file version 1.2.67[20140611 19:08:05.369] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.35:2869/upnphost/udhisapi.dll?content=uuid:677f837c-c1e6-436c-a6e3-984c43289498": (-2) [20140611 19:09:05.239] Received shutdown request via signal 15[20140611 19:09:05.240] Shutdown. Saving config sync.dat 

Restarted many times trying various port and setting combination. But every time I see port 8888 in log file. Maybe there's a copy of it elsewhere and BTSync uses it? 8080 port is forwarded.

What did I miss?

Edited by kaiser

Can no longer edit previous post so posing here.

Basically I've learned to point BTSync to config file. But still WebUI doesn't work. UPnP is dissabled, config file edited, port forwarded in router. Tried many different ports - no luck.

Log file:

[20140612 11:36:27.204] total physical memory -1 max disk cache 2097152[20140612 11:36:27.206] Using IP address 192.168.1.5[20140612 11:36:27.207] Unable to listen for HTTP traffic on port 8765[20140612 11:36:27.208] Loading config file version 1.2.67[20140612 11:37:13.212] Received shutdown request via signal 15[20140612 11:37:13.213] Shutdown. Saving config sync.dat
Edited by kaiser

• 2 weeks later...

@hpbaxter

It depends on which OS runs on your ReadyNAS. BTSync official package supports Netgear OS 6 and newer.

hi, its RAIDiator x86 os, some kind of linux mambo-jambo, i don't know,

i manage to install it, but its run with root privilege and don't start on restart of nas.

so i suppose i need to ad some scripts  :(

and i suppose i need to add btsync user, and put in my usergroup, so i could read/edit file synced with btsync

does anyone know how I can change the standard download folder of the torrent program on my NSA325? Apparently I only can download in the admin folder, and I have to manually copy (cutting and pasting option on my mac is not possible because the video folder is another server) the files to the video folder.

I have it running on my Drobo 5N at all times and there isn't any issue I found.

You have to install it on the CLI via SSH but that's no problem.

This manual is outdated but works with the new version just fine.

There are cron job scripts that check for new BitTorrent Sync version and update them automatically but I don't have any.. sadly :D

http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/btsync-1-0-132

@ RomanZ

I am using the Zyxel NSA325 v2, where you use the download server for torrent downloads. The program used for downloading torrents I Bittorrent I understood. I want to change the download folder, but it appears that I can only change this to a folder under the admin folder. Does anyone know how I can change this or is it better to use another torrent program from my laptop (using the torrent program on my NAS results in the ability to shut down your laptop, while the NAS is downloading the torrents).

@kleinveld,

Are you referring to the BitTorrent Client, or BitTorrent Sync (which is a completely different piece of software!). If it's the latter, then you're in the wrong place, as this forum is for the discussion of running BitTorrent Sync - a program for synchronizing files between your devices, NOT for "downloading torrents".

Works great on QNAP TS 670 Pro running firmware 4,1,0

Just FYI QNAP has dropped BTS from their "official" package list for about a month of so. Any idea why ?

I contacted QNAP with the same issue when I wiped and rebuilt my second NAS (TS412) and found that BTSync was no longer available in their App Store. Apparently there was a security issue and Bittorrent needed to fix the App. I will be available soon, but I have no idea when.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed on ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (ARM) without a problem. It works great.

1. Download Linux ARM compressed binary btsync_arm.tar.gz

2. scp file to root directory on ReadyNAS.

3. ssh to ReadyNAS, uncompress and untar the binary.

4. Load BTSync by typing ./btsync at command line.

5. Append "/root/btsync" to /etc/rc.local for automatic load on restart. (untested)

6. Accessed the GUI via http://<ReadyNAS IP>:8888/gui/

Hey rjbailey, i was wondering if you could explain to me exactly how to do this (i am a simple man!!), i have the same NAS and use btsync all the time, to get this on my NAS would solve a heap of issues for me. Thanks in advance!!

Hi everybody, 

i m looking for a small group of guy (20/30) that want to try to make a community of unknown that share part of their computer memory to keep data of other guys. A sort of peer-to-peer small cloud storage of unknown people.

This is more a social experiment than a technological one.

It wold be grate having someone with a working NAS

someone joined the group, we are in the "Sync Hacks" section 

and I'm also looking for someone interested using Twitter @mttdlllbr

Mattia  

• 4 weeks later...

1. Enable SSH on NAS BUFFALO https://forum.xtdv-group.com/thread_14__huong_dan_mo_telnet_ssh_cac_dong_nas_buffalo

(Sorry, you should translate from Vietnamese to English by google translate) 

2. Download bittorrent_sync_arm.tar.gz for ARM

3. User SFTP (Use Filezilla) connect to root

4. Copy the file to root

5. Create a file sync.conf

"device_name": "My Sync Device",
  "listening_port" : 0,                       // 0 - randomize port

/* storage_path dir contains auxilliary app files
   if no storage_path field: .sync dir created in the directory 
   where binary is located.
   otherwise user-defined directory will be used 
*/
  "storage_path" : "/root/.sync",

// uncomment next line if you want to set location of pid file
// "pid_file" : "/var/run/btsync/btsync.pid",

"check_for_updates" : false, 
  "use_upnp" : false,                              // use UPnP for port mapping

/* limits in kB/s
   0 - no limit
*/
  "download_limit" : 0,                       
  "upload_limit" : 0, 

/* remove "listen" field to disable WebUI
   remove "login" and "password" fields to disable credentials check
*/
  "webui" :
  {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8080",
    "login" : "admin",
    "password" : "password"
  }

/* !!! if you set shared folders in config file WebUI will be DISABLED !!!
   shared directories specified in config file
   override the folders previously added from WebUI.
*/
/*
  "shared_folders" :
  [
    {
//  use --generate-secret in command line to create new secret
      "secret" : "MY_SECRET_1",                   // * required field
      "dir" : "/home/user/bittorrent/sync_test", // * required field

//  use relay server when direct connection fails
      "use_relay_server" : true,
      "use_tracker" : true, 
      "use_dht" : false,
      "search_lan" : true,
//  enable SyncArchive to store files deleted on remote devices
      "use_sync_trash" : true,
//  specify hosts to attempt connection without additional search     
      "known_hosts" :
      [
        "192.168.1.2:44444"
      ]
    }
  ]
*/

// Advanced preferences can be added to config file.
// Info is available in BitTorrent Sync User Guide.

}

6. Copy file sync.conf to root
7. SSH to NAS IP by terminal on Mac (or use Putty on windows) : root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, enter password
8. Run on SSH : ./btsync --config sync.conf

9. Go to xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/gui

10. Enter user: username, pass:password. 

:)