Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

Command Line component for:
  • Subscribing to a shared folder sync. That way you could remotely SSH or telnet into a system and connect it to a shared folder
  • Creating a shared folder.
  • Bandwidth settings.

Email notifications

Scriptability....to allow folks to add a function or step in the process, like encryption...without it needing to be a part of the program functionality.

As has been indicated in another thread there are plans for an API for SyncApp at some point. Edited by GreatMarko
An API has since been made available

Hello guys! Thanks for good app. But I have one whish)))
In our office we have one archive that must be synchronized on all machines, but only one machine have read/wright rights for this archive. And this works great!

But we need one more thing -> "mirror sync". Its like, if u change some files on machines that have read only rights, app must rollback this changes.
I see this like checkbox where we can set mirror sync folder or not. Or maybe better checkbox with rollback changes in this folder!

Its will be very useful for us and I think for others peoples too.

I hope u implement this))) So we place this great app on all our machines.

Edited by GreatMarko
Now achievable through the "Restore modified files to original version" setting of read-only shares

Sync metadata (ownership/permissions/timestamps etc) of the files/directories

Transfer only changes/differences between files, not the entire file every time one byte changes.

Perhaps allow multiple Sync apps running, one for each user, if possible.

This is to allow for full replication between servers.

Sync metadata (ownership/permissions/timestamps etc) of the files/directories

Transfer only changes/differences between files, not the entire file every time one byte changes.

Perhaps allow multiple Sync apps running, one for each user, if possible.

This is to allow for full replication between servers.

Along this line, being able to work on more than one file at a time would be awesome. It seems like the system processes the list of changed files in order, instead of spinning off jobs for the files to be transferred as they list, making it multi-threaded, essentially.

I like the Scheduled sync "Exactly like the time table in utorrent"

For cloud storage or cloud sync, i think soon after SyncApp launches, we will see a lot of websites providing you with a key that lets you sync your folder and files to their servers.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

for windows (tested on win7):
sort by columns in "Transfer" tab
move to next field/checkbox in "Preferences" tab by pressing the tab key

additionally, platform-independent:
* transfer speed plot in time would be nice (not required)
* uTorrent style scheduling would be even nicer - for optimizing transfers in networks with strong time/related congestion
* Wireless SSID-based transfer capping would be awesome: at work, stay under the radar. at home: go full blast. when i connect to the mobile hotspot, stop completely.

Edited by GreatMarko
Columns can now be sorted. You can also now "tab" around the UI. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Congratulations! Great Application! My wish list:

- Tray icon for linux - Gnome - KDE
- Service daemon instalation

- The cloud idea already discussed in the list is the best way to for SyncApp. It could be on a barter basis I can trade space in my machine for a fraction of the space in the cloud (fraction is for redundancy).

Edited by GreatMarko
Tray icon for Linux is available - see: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/28106-linux-desktop-gui-unofficial-packages-for-bittorrent-sync/. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

I'm not sure if it's technically possible, but what about a read only shared directory?
Right now you need to have secrets for both read/write and read only.

There's no guarantee that way that a directory is truly read only.

Edited by GreatMarko
Read-Only secrets have since been introduced

2 requests in one, but they are related

1) Post sync commands. Whenever a sync completes, run a command.

2) Post sync shadowcopy. A checkbox that will initiate a shadowcopy on the shared folder after each sync. I realize this is Windows specific, but still very useful for many people.

The idea here is that sometimes a file will get deleted from a sync folder and that deletion gets propagated out. A shadow copy makes that file recoverable easily.

Great, thank you!

It would be nice to have a way to share the secrets in an easier way while avoiding e-mail transmission.

QR code?

or at least format the secret in blocks of 4 or five character?

Edited by GreatMarko
QR codes are now how mobile devices can read secrets

I also have some wishes:

- BTSync portable for windows (on linux it's portable by default)

- platform independent/portable plaintext config file (as far as i can see, on windows there's only the .dat file for the settings)

- support for / a list of command line arguments which can get used on all platforms (planned API might also be fine)

- add support for sync paths relative to the BTSync.exe (especially for the portable version. when modifying the .dat file manually, BTSync tries to use this path, but it's unable to access it)

- add support for directory symlinks/junctions on windows (mklink /J, when setting BTSync to a directory junction, this error occures: "Error: BitTorrent Sync cannot identify the destination folder.")

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Dear Bittorrent Santa.

This is my wishlist to you:

• Folder-Wise history log, not aggregated.
  • Some nice icons for each history entry (added file -> +, deleted file -> - , ...)
  • Make all table columns sort-able
  • Show a graph for the speed of a transfer or at leas some "time left" field
  • Don't hide the "one time" and "read only" secret that hard. Pack it into the context menu of each folder.
  • Priorize Folders and Devices.

Thank you!

As mentioned before i'd really like to have a sync encrypted secret. So i can store some files on my friends computer that he can't access and vice versa. Although there should be configurable size limits. That way you can skip having a cloud service and just share a few gigs with your friends and have them share a few gigs with you and all of your data is safe and encrypted.

Edited by GreatMarko
Such functionality has since been added to Sync in the form of "Encrypted Nodes"

Hi,

i'd like to have somekind of BTSync-Service/BTSync-Commandlinetool for Windows.

That would enable me to push VM-Images to my clients in background while they run even if no user is logged in.

Edited by GreatMarko

Great, thank you!

It would be nice to have a way to share the secrets in an easier way while avoiding e-mail transmission.

QR code?

or at least format the secret in blocks of 4 or five character?

I don't have the solution, but TheSnowman's comment resonates with me. The idea that "secrets" have to be sent by e-mail in order to get a new sync set up seems like an oxymoron to me. I'm just starting to work with the app, so maybe I don't understand secrets yet (in fact, I still don't understand the layers of secrets and how many secrets I'll end up with). Unless there is a way to select only certain sub-folders in a larger folder, I'll end up with many syncs. Does that mean that each one folder gets a unique set of secrets? How does one manage them?

I've read the User Guide and will continue reading posts here to learn about the secret process. Please make the discussion/description of "Secret" much more user-friendly. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but this part of SyncApp is baffling.

Howdy all!! I've got a feature I'd love to see...

I have one computer at my home and three at my office. When I go to share a file frome home, it tries to upload it once to each computer at my office, (unless one (or more) is off of course). I'd love for the software to be smart enough to realize my three office computers are on the same LAN and to only download the file over the WAN from my house once, then sync it "locally".

Thoughts anyone? THANKS!

I agree that shadow copying is a must. With this enabled, there is no need to enable windows' own shadow copying, which essentially will create redundency. Also, windows' own shadow copying is done only once per day at max. frequency (disappointing for someone who need every version within a single day). What I am concerned about is my syncTrash folder is growing exponentially - can there be some smart algorithm that doesn't simply just lump all of the previous versions altogether, but rather distinguish the INCREMENTAL changes? This can save tons of space. Not sure if Windows' native shadow copy uses this technology but that will really be fantastic. Also, since the box of "put deleted file into synctrash" is checked by default, user should be somehow made more aware that the trash are hidden and THEY ARE ACTUALLY SITTING THERE AND CONSUMING SPACE - otherwise they may be wondering why the folder is building itself into a ridiculous space-hog. The incremental-smart algorithm will also come handy when it comes to up/download. Say I copy a file in one folder and the app actually upload the copy and redistribute it to peers - but is it really needed? Can it just look around and say - hey let's compare this file to the neighbor. And then it just order other peer to simply copy it as well. This will cost minimal bandwith, but at the cost of more CPU - which I would rather trade in.

Also, the tick/wheel icon attached to file icon universal to dropbox/skydrive/etc indicating if the file is in sync or synced is missing here. That's a must. Progress bar is also helpful, as many suggest, especially for large files this will reassure user how soon it can be finished.

At last, the current version still have renaming problems - hope this basic functional issue can be resolved. If user cannot even depend on the most basic function, then how can they count on the fancier stuffs?

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum.

I did a comparison with AeroFS, which just came out earlier this month to masse. They have versioning but only the most recent version. They hide all of the versioning files in a hidden folder in the same directory where AeroFS folder is located. Therefore I don't think they are smart enough like Dropbox who claims to have the incremental algorithm. Maybe we can do some sort of byte-stream profile matching? Just some thoughts :-|

Edited by GreatMarko
"Versioning" has since been added to Sync. You'll find enumerated versions of files within .SyncArchive

The app I was looking for! Thanks.

Things I would like to see on the feature list:

a ) copying files instead of fully transmitting them (for example a file B, which is a copy of file A, which has been transmitted.)

b ) only retransmission of changed chunks of a changed file, not the whole file.

c ) the most important feature for me is decentral bootstrapping on the Internet. What does it mean? Think of following scenario:

1) A device goes online and is configured to look at predifined hosts to connect to the swarm. The predifed host is a DDNS link. Now there are two possible scenarios:

2a) The DDNS link is recent and valid and the device can connect to a peer and to the swarm.

2b) The entry is old and the connection fails. Now, the device assumes that it is the first online peer of the swarm and deposits its own IP address at the DDNS entry.

Any new online device will try to connect to the predefined host and will end up in 2a).

Necessary for that is, that the peer can find out its public IP address behind a NAT and the ability to update a DDNS entry.

This solution implements everybodies own tracker and it is absolutely private.

I suggest possibility to create a special secret key for folder in SyncApp, with such a feature:

This key will be enough to sync with remote folder, but will not to decrypt the data it contains. So it will be possible to make safe/always online "servers" in places which you do not really 100% trust. (for example at work).

Other "peers" with full secret key will still has ability to download data and open/decrypt it.

I would like to be able to have multiple backup servers, but each of them should only store part of the synced share, maybe it doesnt have the hdd space required to host the entire share.

Secondly it would be nice if one of the backup servers could be set as a master server for a specific synced share. Only so it could tell the other servers when to drop files etc. But the backup servers should never have access to the decrypted data itself.

This should result in multiple families can give say 10gb backup storage to another family. And that way make easy off-site backups.

If possible, separate the key into private and public keys. By adding some signing file, provides different permission (full control or read only) on the shared folder.

Edited by GreatMarko
The ability to have "full control" or just "read only" shares has since been introduced

New in the Alpha.
I have seen the request for a "true" portable solution.. To go along with that for my needs I could see it being quite beneficial to be able to run a commandline to get a machine into the stream.

ie: BTSync.exe -readonlysharedsecret -foldertocopyfilesto -trayonly

Also running as a system level service would be great and then the ability to throw commands at the system service as necessary would be nice too.

Thanks, loving the Alpha so far.

Edited by GreatMarko

My wishlist is as follows:

• Ability to prioritise syncing by file size, e.g. where it syncs the smallest file, then the next smallest and so on until the biggest file is synced last. Also, if a smaller file is changed/added while syncing a large file, pause the large file until the smaller file is synced.
  • Choose which share folders to display 'Download Complete' notifications for. For example, I have my mother's Documents folder sync'd 1-way to a backup folder on my PC. Every time she imports her photos, saves a document, etc. I get tray notifications. If I turn off notifications, I'm no longer notified if files in other shared folders are modified, such as if I share a folder with a work colleague.
  • Add file versioning. A workaround at the moment for Windows Vista/7/8 PCs is enable 'Previous Versions' on the HDD containing the shared folder.
  • Keep this sync utility freeware. :)

This is my third day with the Alpha and already really impressed with it. So far syncing between my home PC, laptop and work PC works great and based on looking at my home PC via Remote Desktop from work, it appears to sync quicker than Dropbox. I much look forward to doing away with Dropbox once this reaches a stable release. B)

Edited by GreatMarko
"Versioning" is now supported. Sync is - and will remain - freeware. Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum