Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

If t hasn't been mentioned already (I haven't trawled through 20 pages to check) the Linux version badly needs:

1. A system tray icon (No problem on servers but a graphical session there is no visual feedback to whether the btsync service is even running or if its encountered any errors

2. A versioning system, so if I overwrite or accidently delete file.txt on date x, I may need to able to retrieve the original version that existed before date x

I hate to mention the D word but Dropbox does have both of these features

a CLI interface as an alternative to the web interface would be really great imho. that would solve a lot of automation problems and allow integration with various desktop environments without the need of a low level API.

the remove button Needs a confirmation box

only just noticed that the date format is hard coded for USA date format, Yes 2013/06/21 should be the way to do it (or at least poll the system for the date format (all programs do this as a basic thing surprised that this has not been done)

be interesting if coder did the same thing (ish) with using System time/date instead of using UTC 0 offset when checking for file changes as that could be a issue when say i share a sync folder with someone in the USA with time zone of -7 hours as he would always have the newer file timewise even though the UK user has edited the file and saved it (not tested yet to see if that issue happens or not) the New 10 min delay would prevent the sync now as date mismatch would be more than 10 mins (again not tested)

and i also agree there is a API in most OS's that can report when a files/folders has changed (does not use date or file size) as that should be used, not just rescan the folder when nothing has changed (as that brings up issues like TrueCrypt when the default is not to change the modification date and time and it makes very unnecessary disk wake ups)

i am no programmer but there i know you can do this (XP/Vista or higher supports this) -- http://msdn.microsof...a363798(v=vs.85).aspx -- http://msdn.microsof...a364417(v=vs.85).aspx -- http://msdn.microsof...a365465(v=vs.85).aspx --

again i do not do programming i just do know that you can detect that a file or folder content has changed without having to do a file rescan (OSX already does it correctly in BT Sync, Linux/other would also have there own way of doing it as well)

Hey there.

I just discovered kind oft a show stopper. As a guest in a hotels wifi, they banned My laptop a couple oft seconds after its boot du to file sharing usage, which was forbidden by their terms oft service.

I would suggest something like different network profil es. If I am correct, Windows has different network behavior settings (such as firewall configuration) based in the default gateways MAC address.

I would love to see tracker and networks usage based von such profiles, with a default one that either pops a message to decide the actual configuration or only uses static hosts.

So my current wish: Different setting profiles based on "whatever Windows uses".

Kind regards,

Stephan.

So my current wish: Different setting profiles based on "whatever Windows uses".

Windows uses the ip address, netmask and default route to choose one of three profiles (public, private and domain)

You can add a rule to the Windows firewall to block BTSync when you're on a 'public' network already.

Possibly something in the installer to add these rules automatically would be nice.

For all intensive purposes your OS would see the Synced folder as if it was a local actual folder but it would actually be empty and showing the contents of a remote folder.

BTSync is NOT a network file system. It's a tool for copying files between machines.

You OS already has network file systems suitable for your use case, however, it is likely that your internet connection is too cheap for the performance that you want to see.

Note: you may get better performance if you use an ISCSI drive with aggressive local caching, but that will only allow a single machine to access the drive.

Hello,

Would it be possible to have .syncIgnore working a bit like .gitignore ? I.e. :

• sync it so every copies of the folder automatically get the latest changes,
  • sync it in priority, so changes are taken into account before syncing other files.

Maybe this could be accomplished using another file, so there could be a local .syncIgnore and a shared one.

1. A better way to share secrets with others. Most users will rely on email to send secrets. This is a serious security flaw. This is the biggest security flaw in this program. There needs to be a way to send an encrypted secret from inside the program.

2. A native Linux client. I run Linux, as does my small business (which uses Mac as well). The web interface is okay but it doesn't provide notifications when finished downloading or list of recent transfers. Please include a Linux client with all the features of the Windows and Mac client. Please keep the web interface and the text based configurations available for our servers though.

3. Recent versions. AeroFS has this feature. It allows browsing through recently synced versions of the synced folder in case changes were made accidentally. This would be extraordinarily helpful.

4. A progress bar in the Windows, Mac and (hopefully) soon-to-be Linux client. This would be very helpful for my rather non tech savy employees.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented

I'd love to see connection aware options. For example, allow the option to prevent upload on metered connections:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465399.aspx

Ideally it'd be even better if BTSync could be aware to only upload new files or changes made locally and not act as a peer for other files if it's detected on a metered connection (or allow this to be configurable).

I would love to see a one-way sync for storing backups. Not sure how this could be implemented easily but I think it would be amazing in my line of work. Say you have a mission critical server that has staged backups -- once the backup script is finished it moves the archive to the sync folder and is pushed to an off-site NAS, home server, and cloud backup server. If the server is compromised the hacker would be able to see the backup files and may delete them, but the deletion will not be synced to all the other devices.

I know there are many businesses(and people) that do not follow recommended backup procedures, say rotating two external hdds for backup use -- I have seen fires destroy servers, but not only the servers but the backup mediums that were meant to be stored off-site but were sitting on the server.

So something like sync would be sweet because it doesn't really require human interaction.

---

Also just thinking about internation travel where a laptop may be seized or stolen, it would be nice to have a one way sync to send data back then have that data safely deleted.

Hey there.

I just discovered kind oft a show stopper. As a guest in a hotels wifi, they banned My laptop a couple oft seconds after its boot du to file sharing usage, which was forbidden by their terms oft service.

I would suggest something like different network profil es. If I am correct, Windows has different network behavior settings (such as firewall configuration) based in the default gateways MAC address.

I would love to see tracker and networks usage based von such profiles, with a default one that either pops a message to decide the actual configuration or only uses static hosts.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

please complete your words as well

use a VPN next time (free one hotspot shield with ads) or should i say All the time when at a public Wifi hotspot (as they not be able to detect if your running bittorrent or be able to sniff any of your data like usernames and passwords)

do make sure you exit BTsync before connecting to the wifi hotspot and fire up the VPN before you re open BTsync

please complete your words as well

I don't get that expression. If it's my spelling, that's mostly because my german android keyboard layout did clumsy things to my words. Unfortunately I was on my way through "no mobile data zones" through the US, so I wasn't able to correct my stuff right after I discovered those multiple misspellings. If you don't mean just the word spelling, please tell me what I did wrong.

use a VPN next time (free one hotspot shield with ads) or should i say All the time when at a public Wifi hotspot (as they not be able to detect if your running bittorrent or be able to sniff any of your data like usernames and passwords)

Using a VPN isn't exactly what I should have to do. Btsync claims to have encrypted data on the wire, so it should only be discovered like "there's some bittorrent protocoll here", the actual data should be save. That's what I read from "Private and Secure" at http://labs.bittorre...ents/sync.html.

And: Using a VPN isn't exactly what btsync is designed for. Think about me being at a rental office box in new york and a collegue of ine being at another rental office box in san francisco. What kind of VPN do you expect us to use? Our common VPN server in germany? I hope not, since distributed meshed stuff is *exactly* what btsync is for. Better make a strong in-protocol encryption then wakening the whole idea behind btsync. If we should use a central VPN we could use rsync or windows offline folers, or whatever.

Of course, as long as it's *real* sensitive data (business critical stuff with strong NDAs) I don't put it in any cloud based sollution. But that's not the point here.

Maybe using a VPN here comes in as a real sullution if it's possible to force btsync to pass all its traffic through a VPN, although the VPN isn't the default gateway. Then I could think about putting a VPN endpoint in every datacenter around the world for me and all of my collegues and use the on demand.

But this idea should be handled with care. What about iPhone and Android devices? It can be realy tricky to ake them go through VPN. I know that there are OpenVPN, PPTP, TincVPN and other VPN sollutions for Android. But I don't know if they are easy going on iPhone. IMHO there should be not-traceable "only use known hosts" connections for this exact situation.

And here is another thing that goes hand by hand with my "allow differeint connection profiles per whaterver windows uses to determine network locations": The parameter "use dedicated communication interface" should be part of this. Would be great if btsync uses my US outbound VPN gateway (or whatever VPN sollution I decide to use) whenever I'm in starbucks or hotels, but not when I'm at my US offices.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

1. Mobile Apps for IOS, Android and Windows Phone / Tablet
2. Progress Bar Syncing - noticed it was asked previous - but asking again
3. Sync Root directory - for example - z:\ in the case that we might use a virtual disk or sd card for this
4. Auto-update fixed
5. Auto-update for linux

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented