Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

Indexing should add file location and file size total to database rather than processing every file requiring an enormous amount of I/O bandwidth causing a sluggish indexing process.

Also, do not start indexing other folders until the current folder is completely indexed.

As I have noticed in 1.1.27 that when reindexing, the folder would not completely index, and move on to others, then start downloading files from other systems to retrieve the non-indexed files, although the files already exist on the current system and does not need to be re-downloaded.

I would like to see a log displaying all operations, so I can make sure of what operations were performed and which files were updated. This log could be in a "Transfers" tab.

log example for client mandatory:

2013-07-03 09:15:11 sending file /xxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxx.jpg to XXXXX (client name)

2013-07-03 09:15:11 sending /xxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxxx.jpg added to XXXXXX (client name)

log example for client:

2013-07-03 09:15:11 folder XXXXXX removed from source

2013-07-03 09:15:11 file /xxxx/xxxxxx/XXXXXX.mp3 removed from source

2013-07-03 09:15:11 file /xxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxx.jpg update

2013-07-03 09:15:11 file /xxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxxx.jpg added

Hello!

First off: Thanks a bunch for this useful syncing tool. It makes several tasks much easier for me and gives me peace of mind that cloud-syncing can't offer to the same degree.

I have a feature request: UI warning when a device exceed the advanced setting "max_time_diff". The only indication for that currently seems to be that the device is shown with its IP address:port instead of its name and the fact that nothhin is syncing.

I had this problem today and tried many folder settings combinations before noticing that one computer's clock was off by 15min. A warning "Device exceeds max_time_diff" or similar would have helped me a lot.

Thanks and greetings!

I think, it would be nice to add / modify:

1) do not create hidden .SyncTrash folder when it is set to NOT use "Delete files to Sync trash" in the preferences of synced folder. There is still a large group of users who have turned on "Show Hidden and System files", at least I hope so. I know that I can delete the directory, but it is re-created each time BTSync/OS start.

1a) Alternatively do not create .SyncID and .SyncIgnore files in a directory that is synchronized and store that information somewhere else. Same reasons as 1)

2) option to run BTSync as a service.
I know it is a known workaround, but it would be good to have this as a native feature during the installation process.

3) option to select the directory in which to store hash files - cache.
Now this directory is in the user profile. According to the volume of synchronized data it can be quite large.
It would therefore be useful to be able to direct it elsewhere.
This is partly related to 2). If BTSync will run as a service, this directory cannot to be in user profile anyway.

Thanks for the GREAT APPS, finally.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

Hello,

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but PLEASE please please implement the same GUI interface and notification tray applet for the GNU/linux version as for windows and mac.

The GNU/linux experience is just vastly inferior(the web interface doesn't even have half of the features in the stand alone GUI) and is really frustrating as I desperately want to use GNU/linux as my primary OS but things like this always have me going back to windows for ease of use.

Thanks.

I'm using 1.1.27 on Mac OSX 10.6 (MacBook Air), 1.1.27 on Linux (Mint 13) on two different computers, 1.1.27 (ARM version) on Raspberry Pi Model B, 1.1.7 on mobile phone (HTC using Android 4.0.x). Everything just works perfectly. Sorry I can't contribute to any bug-fixing! :)

Wishlist:

1) Mobile app: Password or pass-gesture to open the app.

2) Desktop / Web UI: Ability to browse remote content and then selectively download one or two files without doing a full sync.

3) Web UI still needs a confirmation before deleting a share. Too easy to accidentally delete a share and all of the settings.

4) Would also be nice to be able to create new folders on a filesystem via Web UI when browsing to select a folder to share ('Create New' option).

5) Web UI and desktop clients: Would love to have a checkbox for each folder to make that shared folder inactive without actually deleting all of the settings for it (the secret, the predefined hosts, etc). I could then exclude particular computers (which have small and expensive bandwidth) from a large file movement. Once I had moved that file and then removed it from the shared folder at the other end I could re-activate the shared folder on the computer with the limited bandwidth. I think this would be simple to implement. My current workaround is to copy all of the settings into a text file, remove the shared folder, and then re-create the share later by pasting secrets and settings from the text file. Not elegant.

Features aside, the software is working bug-free and without nuances for me. Couldn't be happier. Keep up the good work devs and designers.

The GNU/linux experience is just vastly inferior(the web interface doesn't even have half of the features in the stand alone GUI) and is really frustrating as I desperately want to use GNU/linux as my primary OS but things like this always have me going back to windows for ease of use.

This is the reality of using GNU/Linux as your primary OS. The best things in life are free, but seldom easy. It is hard for developers to make shiny applications for a minority user-base, most of whom prefer to hack away at the command line with config files anyway. I'm thankful every time a developer choses to support GNU/Linux in any way, especially when their product is also largely free. The config file is well documented in these forums and allows you to tweak just about any settings. It's also great because you can SSH to your computer and edit it through the command line. You'll learn to love it - stay strong.

Appolgies if this has been asked already, I did a search to check.

The auto update feature is a great addition, but could it be extended? I would like the ability of being able to specificy what version the client should be on without user intervention. At the moment I put the current version into their shared folders and then once synced drop then an email how they can update.

What would be nice if there was a URL, or hidden .exe file that BTS checks and syncs to so that all the endpoints are on the same version.

I have not yet used the auto update feature so I don't know if this automatically updates BTS or if the user has to exit and then install.

Thanks

Terry

Appolgies if this has been asked already, I did a search to check.

The auto update feature is a great addition, but could it be extended? I would like the ability of being able to specificy what version the client should be on without user intervention. At the moment I put the current version into their shared folders and then once synced drop then an email how they can update.

What would be nice if there was a URL, or hidden .exe file that BTS checks and syncs to so that all the endpoints are on the same version.

I have not yet used the auto update feature so I don't know if this automatically updates BTS or if the user has to exit and then install.

Thanks

Terry

What about a remote update feature?

I'd like the option to set a maximum number of versions for a file,

also a minimum time diff so we don't have a hundred versions in an hour, i.e. for a source file.

Storing versions in a compressed archive would also be great. Let's say on a per folder basis.

I'd consider this a viable alternative to delta versioning filesystems.

One more thing. :) Since versioning is done peer by peer they should be synchronizable.

Even better if the sending peer could save versions for itself too.

".SyncIgnore" affects only the list of files on my computer to "send".

I would like to to manage a list of files to "recieve.

Example.

I want to prevent executable files *.exe *.cmd, etc....

The reason for the spread of viruses such as "FolderName.exe".

If the remote computer is infected, the virus spread rapidly across computers.

Thanks.

P/S

Cool Program thanks.

It would be nice that everything dealing with btsync would be in the same hidden folder, like .SyncIgnore and .SyncID and .SyncTrash all together to be in for instance a .btsync/ folder

This way it would be clear what is btsync and what is not (imagine if we need to sync a folder with many hidden files).

My 2 cents,

/glattering

Hi.

Some people, like me, use BTSYNC for broadcasting video records.

We use BTSYNC like this: One or a few people have all permission as well as others, most of all, have only readonly permission.

We need 2 more functions:

1 Avoiding re-download. If some files are removed from the computer with readonly permission, please do not re-download them back.

2 Choose to download. Okay, this is not important. Maybe there should be some way to let all clients choose which they want to download within all shared files.

Thanks.