Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

Sorry if this has been suggested already.

Encrypted caching: allow the generation of an alternate secret that syncs data, but doesn't decrypt it. That way, I could give all my friends this code (and they could give me theirs) and we'd all have a cache of everyone else's data that could keep syncing when anyone was online, but wouldn't enable anyone but me to see my data. This would also allow anyone to set up online services that would accept your cache-code (perhaps for a fee), and keep an always-available high-bandwidth copy of your data for you without fears that they could access it.

This seems the best way to achieve the cloud-storage effect in a secure, distributed framework.

In the folder view/tab you could add an extra columns showing the current status, e.g.

- Synced

or

- Device A (^), Device B (v)

^ ... the arrow for uploading, v ... the arrow for downloading

so that on can see the current status/operations on a per-folder-basis

Please add an option to store the configuration files in a custom folder. The fact that settings - and thus the secrets! - are stored in %APPDATA% (on Windows) is a huge security problem.

My laptop has an SSD and thus I can't encrypt the system folder with TrueCrypt. For similar reason, my home-built NAS system has a non-encrypted system drive. If someone were to get their hands on those systems (however unlikely), they would not get data straight away - all data drives are TrueCrypt'ed - but they would get my secrets. This could be solved by allowing users to move the settings folder to a custom location, which could then be encrypted.

I'd like to propose a few WebUI changes:

Plese remove the 'Connected devices and status' column, it makes the page chaotic if there are many connections.

Instead you could make another page like the devices tab in the GUI, or make jQuery popups for each share.

Also deletion confirmation could be nice here too.

But most importantly it would be great if we could modify the WebUI in a way so it would keep working after updates.

Remote Management of other nodes.

Currently I have BTSync installed on 6 Desktops and 3 Android devices. The more folders and the more devices I start to manage (because BTSync is such a great piece of software!) the more I would like a "centralized" way of managing it - OK, centralized is probably the wrong expression for a distributed system. But I would like to be able to manage all the nodes from one site.

E.g. If I have a new folder, I usually want to sync it on all nodes. Now I have to use Remote Desktop, etc. - instead I would prefer to connect to other nodes directly from BTSync in order to change the configuration (password protected of course - or just by using an admin secret ;)))).

Please add an option to store the configuration files in a custom folder. The fact that settings - and thus the secrets! - are stored in %APPDATA% (on Windows) is a huge security problem.

You can just move the files from the Appdata folder. BTSync.exe looks first in its own folder for the configuration files, and only if it finds nothing there it looks in the Appdata folder.

My laptop has an SSD and thus I can't encrypt the system folder with TrueCrypt.

I don't follow - my computers all have SSDs as system drives and they all are encrypted with Truecrypt.

You can just move the files from the Appdata folder. BTSync.exe looks first in its own folder for the configuration files, and only if it finds nothing there it looks in the Appdata folder.

Cool, thanks!

I don't follow - my computers all have SSDs as system drives and they all are encrypted with Truecrypt.

My bad, I should have expanded on this; when I first started looking into the possibility of encrypted my system drive, I found a number of sources online which stated that TrueCrypt'ing SSDs had some detrimental effects when it came to wear.

Exportable history.

We are looking at using BTSync to sync controlled documents and manuals to employees on mac/PC and iOS and would like to have a nice easy list to see who has synced and has the latest documents (or even who hasn't synced...).

Not sure if this has been suggested previously, but a way to blacklist a client would be good, or cycle keys, or something....

Use case: my laptop is stolen. I need a way to cycle the key, or kick the laptop out of the sync group, preferably without manually deleting the sync folder on every device and setting everything up again.

Also would REALLY like to have a way to access the sync-data without actually syncing the entire folder to the local machine.

Example: I'm at the office and would like to grab a few files from home. Don't want to / can't sync the folder, I could just browse to a virtual drive where I could access all the data in that sync-folder.

Maybe it is somewhere here in the thread:

- An indicator on the tray-icon (or notification icon on Android) that indicates the state of the application:

In sync / ouf of sync of all folders

Currently transferring or not

So one can easily see if it is safe to go offline with a mobile device or not.

- An option to see which _files_ in which folders are out of sync.

e.g. as sometimes there are folders that won't get in sync because some client has a file open.

The Android-Client has some sort of that functionallity but it would be nice to also see

- Also list the files in sync together with the corresponding timestamp (and filesize) so one can easily verify that the correct version of a file has arrived.

- Make the device tab sortable. (sometimes it is interesting to sort by device, sometimes by folder ...)

- An option to see which _files_ in which folders are out of sync.

e.g. as sometimes there are folders that won't get in sync because some client has a file open.

The Android-Client has some sort of that functionallity but it would be nice to also see

+++ Yes please! This would make straightening out "stuck" syncs soooo much easier! I still have several of those that no amount of new versions or delete/add folder resets can fix, and I'd like to know why.

The Android App works great.

However I'm missing a function: "Remove file from local device". That could be done best with a long tab on a file. It should not delete the file, but jus remove it from the cell phone.

Additionally I'm missing in the Android app: filemanager functions like: Remove, rename, move, copy, share, etc.

Additionally it would be nice to see beside each file, when it was last synced.

Additionally, show the available space on the sdcard, so you don't download too much by accident.

Additionally mark the folders (with a green checkmark) when they are locally safed. And show a progress bar on folders during the download process.

The Pause-Option for syncing doesn't work... it is still downloading.

Otherwise great work!!! It's 10 times as fast and fluid as dropbox!

PS: The fuuuutre versions, it would be also greally great if it would have streaming option: Example: Stream video from the PC to the cellphone. But that has no priority.

The Linux Web Version

It would be nice to see if the device has full access, or only a read-only access.

PS: Really AWESOME WORK GUYS!!!

Thank you for the program, I would like to see future versions:

1. Globally define exceptions or including files for synchronization.

2. Management console for Windows

3. Create Directory Groups (user profile) and 1 private key.

P.s. Sorry, am not friends with the English.

---

Спасибо за программу, хотелось бы будущих версиях увидеть:

1. Глобально задавать исключения или включающие файлы для синхронизации.

2. Управление через консоль под Windows

3. Создавать группы каталогов (профиль пользователя) по 1 секретному ключу.

I have to add my voice to the list of people asking for features enabling decentralized/distributed backup. Such as:

1) Ability to join pools

2) Can join pools as slave only

3) slaves never see "assembled" data and don't have to have enough space to hold the entire pool data

4) Can participate in multiple pools

5) Pool participation can be completely offline on disconnected LAN. No external/internet access required but can be used if needed.

Want sync folders inside already sync folders ( disable error "This folder cannot be added to BitTorrent Sync as it is part of a folder that is already syncing.")

example:

i have data folder with all my files. Inside i have folder "mobilecamera" where i want sync photos from android smartphone. But i not want create standalone sync folder on server and on my other computers.

I want just add on smartphone "backup" in subfolder.

First of all - congrats to this great piece of software. I´m using it as a replacement for Dropbox and I´m very happy with BTsync. :)

Nevertheless I can´t get completely rid of Dropbox as I´m using it to syncronize my 1password data across my devices (iphone, ipad, desktop pc (work and private). Even though the data are encrypted on the dropbox I would feel much more comfortable if the data are not stored somewhere in the cloud.

So I think it should be the logical next step to provide API´s for developers so that much much more people can benefit from the idea of a private cloud, especially when it comes to such sensitive topics like password-vault synchronisation !

Greetings from Austria,

wiwa

Wish: a way to force peers to upgrade their clients / recreate the share. With its rapid development, btsync has seen numerous changes and improvements (hopefully) which may cause incompatibilities between outdated and more recent versions. So far, it seems clients simply fail connecting to a new up-to-date "master" share. I also guess it might explain why peers appear in a "stuck" state sometimes - incompatible versions, or their local btsync db being somehow corrupt.

Not sure if secrets and peer connections transmit some version information that could be put to use in order to warn (and potentially mitigate) conflicts.

Not sure either if they get any notice about version inconsistencies, but it would be nice if when adding/connecting to a secret they'd get a useful message e.g. "The secret was added, however it may not work as expected. To fix it, please consider upgrading your BTsync software. Alternatively, you could try deleting then re-adding that secret, pointing to the same folder." Or something along these lines.

Would save time by encouraging "in the background" people to update / fix issues, rather than peers having to contact each other by mail, snailmail, phone "hey dude, your sync client is stuck, u should update blaah blah blah"

Okay, so I had a search for this to see if it might already exist in some form, but I wasn't really sure what exactly I was searching for so… yeah.

Anyway, my main concern with Sync is that I don't really have enough peers available to me to guarantee uptime or to allow the network to recovery if I were to lose access to some of those peers (as they're all in my house so if it burned down my data would be toast too).

However, one feature that I like about CrashPlan (not quite the same thing as it's more for backups only) is that your friends can make themselves available as a backup location for you.

I'm thinking something similar could really benefit BitTorrent Sync, e.g - the ability for you to generate a blind-cache key for your friends. When they enter this key they can set how much disk-space/bandwidth they're willing for you to use; now when you sync to them they receive the data in an encrypted form that they can't access, but the data is available to your own personal swarm in case of disaster, or at the very least to give you better availability. The key wouldn't allow your friends access to your files (they'd be encrypted), but can allow your peer-network to read and write files to and from them.

If your friends don't have (or don't allocate) enough space to hold everything then they'll still hold a selection of files (or rather, pieces). Ideally the peer-network would be smart enough in allocation to do things like prioritise commonly accessed or recent pieces/files, and to try to establish redundancy if it can.

For example, if you want 1gb of storage in the network, then you could get three friends to contribute 500mb each (probably with you doing the same in return). This allows you to have an extra 1 and half copies of your synced content, hopefully giving better speed and improved availability.

This could also open up the possibility of BitTorrent sync services, whereby you give them a key so that they'll function as a peer in your network, but with all data being encrypted they won't be able to steal any data, but could be used to guarantee there is always a peer available in case of disaster.

My laptop has an SSD and thus I can't encrypt the system folder with TrueCrypt. For similar reason, my home-built NAS system has a non-encrypted system drive. If someone were to get their hands on those systems (however unlikely), they would not get data straight away - all data drives are TrueCrypt'ed - but they would get my secrets. This could be solved by allowing users to move the settings folder to a custom location, which could then be encrypted.

im a little concerned with data storage on mobile devices, and the limitations of flash memory. It's not secure for the same reasons you point out.