Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

this app is great but I think it needs a few minor things

1. scheduling runtime would be helpful for almost everyone.
2. see a better progress bar of some kind.
3. be able to pause/start syncing when its running.

I have a read only share that syncs to my home as an off site backup for my business and when I delete files from the read only share the files are not deleted on the destination.

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum. Greyed out items have since been implemented

I have a read only share that syncs to my home as an off site backup for my business and when I delete files from the read only share the files are not deleted on the destination.

It wouldn't be much of a backup if the backed up files could be deleted when a mistake is made on the source.

I suggested over that they could separate Read-only syncs from Backup syncs. This could be one of the differences. Or possibly just have it be a per sync 'Allow remote removal' option on the receiving peers.

My request is very simple to implement (I believe) and would be helpful across all platforms...

Please can you add the ability to sort items on the "Folders" and the "Devices" tabs. So, for example, on the "Devices" tab, clicking the "Device" column heading would sort all devices alphanumerically.

This simple enhancement would allow (in the above example) the status of each connected device to be easily viewed - currently this is visually difficult as the status is sorted by folder and so the status entries for each device are distributed across the entire list.

Many thanks

My request would be: "option per share: do not create .AppleDouble files". Please.

I have some music and some photos that i would like to sync. I don't mind their extended attributes/resource fork. Syncing 30k of photos (photo raw files - not some tiny jpegs) gives me 30k of useless .AppleDouble files that slow down the sync process and are prone to sync conflicts and end up in at least another 30k files in .SyncArchive (i don't even know if i would ever search in the SyncArchive for a special version of a resource fork for a synced file - this sounds pretty useless to me).

These .AppleDouble files are then synced back to my hfs+ file system. Is there no way to re-unite the resource fork and the data fork?

I want to be able to sync subfolders of already synced folder. In my case I can just sync subfolders separately but imagine this case:

There's a folder A with a lot (a hundred, for example) subfolders a1, a2, a3... I want the entire folder A to be synced with my laptop but only one subfolder a2 with my phone. I cannot do that because the client doesn't allow to add subfolders of already synced folders.

I definitely want this as well.

Would ADORE a one way, one time, read only sync option. aka, you generate a permanent and/or one use sync code, that will sync the folder in question ONCE, then terminate the connection automatically from that folder, so no additional changes are propagated.

Do files get hashed when they are indexed? I have files that have different names and but same exact MD5 and they are still being sent. I have 3 computers that are syncing files, two have the files but some of the names are different. Do files get hash checked before sending to save bandwidth and space. There should be an option to do name checking and/or hash checking before sending file. The two computers that have the files are sending things back and forth to each other even though they have the same hash when completed. This is wasting bandwidth from the 3 pc that could be downloading a lot quicker if the other two weren't wasting upload bandwidth.

Hi,

not sure if this was already mentioned, kindof hard to read through all this ;)

It would be nice if the web interface had the instance name on the front page and in the title.

If i have serveral machines open side by side, its hard to tell which one is which.

Cannot say much about BT Sync itself yet, but i definitely like the concept and i'm trying it out.

I've been wanting to do something alike with generating traditional torrents for some time.

Cheers, Jonas

Now that I have used btsync for a while, the following are a few points that would be great to see implemented

- An estimated time of finishing a sync would be great for road warriors or anyone who is on the go and wants to see how much longer the connection needs to be up to finish the sync.

- Pausing individual sync folders instead of just all or

- Prioritise sync folders, for example, I have two sync folder and I set"backup" sync to low priority, whereas 'current project' has a high priority , resulting in more (dynamic?) bandwidth allocated for the latter

- Bandwidth limitations for individual sync folders

- Incorporate the units for the advanced settings. what unit does sync_trash_ttl have? Apples, Meters, Seconds, Years? maybe sync_trash_ttl_min for minutes

Keep up the good work :)

Simple and usefull interfaces addons (windows version) :

- in history, diplay the folder with every change

- in history, display the device with every change

- in every tab (folder, device, transfert, etc.), allow all columns to be sorted (i.e. sort the device by folder name, etc.)

Thanks for btsync !

It will be great if there is an option to encrypt traffic in either Twofish or Serpent algorithm. AES can be default, and advanced users can change from Options.

AES has security concerns:

New Attack on AES:

https://www.schneier...ack_on_a_1.html

Another New AES Attack:

https://www.schneier...er_new_aes.html

And there is that "conspiracy theory" that NSA has a backdoor access built in to AES. Then again, the idea of something like PRISM was originally just a "conspiracy theory"...

Personally a 'Enterprise' solution is needed. A means to keep an eye on the swarm of syncing, remote installation (scriptable), statistical information.
Outside of this;
Flat file option for predefined hosts (easily updatable on multiple devices when a new node is created).
A 'true' windows service.
A silent windows installation (including secret) - mass deployable.
DayPart scheduling (reducing up/down between the hours of 12:00 - 17:00).
Private tracker/relay.

I might have the wrong end of the stick with 'full access/read only' but in my experience 'read only' only downloads and doesn't share with peers. Full access allows sharing but also allows the modification of the files also. It would be awesome to have sharing, but any alterations to the files on a node will only result in it re-downloading from the swarm again. (Decentralised file sharing - centrally controlled :))

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

I think it would be nice to password protect the http access for linux.

Also I think the option of adding a personal password along with the secret would be nice. This would give people added security since they know the password wouldn't be random generated. I would just have the option for secret mandatory as it is needed, but then you could also give a personal password that would be prompted when setting up the folder on another device.

Personally a 'Enterprise' solution is needed. A means to keep an eye on the swarm of syncing, remote installation (scriptable), statistical information.

A 'true' windows service.

A silent windows installation (including secret) - mass deployable.

This!

I have 2 file servers that I log into and "disconnect" the remote session so Bit Torrent Sync can run.

Perhaps a separate file server version of the app that has these heavier lifting components?

Thanks for this great piece of software! My 2 wishes are:

1. Proxy support. So that it can work at work. I can't make any outside connections other than via a proxy.....ESSENTIAL!!!!
2. Selective sync. I don't always want to sync every (sub)folder...especially not on my mobile!

Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

I would like to see the ability to map out your Sync network, identify a master server and an option to repopulate the master in the event of a failure.

Say the master is reinstalled. I'd like to be able to add the key back and select an option to repopulate. It would then suck in all the files from the slaves and continue on as the master.

I am not sure if it was mentioned before. I would LOVE an option to run a BTSync "Hub" with all files being always encrypted. So that you can use a external hoster as backup and/or central storage without them ever being able to access the data.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank you for btsync!

For the linux version:

- it doesn't provide a command line way to monitor btsync. It would be nice to be able to retrieve for example "Connected hosts" stats somehow, to be able to incorporate into website (is there any way to get this from the currently existing files, such is sync.dat?)

- options to define symlink behaviour - follow/transfer

- options to define behavior in read only clients after local files have been erased - always push/re-sync upon demand

- display info about number of files/sizes before syncing

Thank you and keep up the great work!

(Sorry if this has been said before, can't read all 27 pages)

- It seems insecure to leave the Linux web interface open to anyone at port 8888. If I'm taking my Linux laptop to an open wireless network, anyone on that network could pwn the computer. This can be fixed in the config file, but it would be good to have security setings in the GUI for 1) only bind to localhost and 2) username / password.

- IPv6 support for predefined hosts.

[Added later] - Advanced options on Android. Things like specifying hosts is equally useful on Android.

- Another vote for following symlinks. My use case: make a music directory for syncing to my phone with links to my main music collection. I already had this set up before with FolderSync over SSH, and when I turned BT sync on it deleted my symlinks and uploaded the files from my phone. Actually, to be fair I mainly wanted this because my USB was broken, and now that it fixed itself I can use USB. I bet there are many other good cases for symlinks though.