Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

I wish for a way to sync a local unencrypted folder to a remote system on which the files will remain encrypted so that the remote system's users cannot decrypt the files, see any of their filenames, or even know how many files there are.

I would be interested in this feature also, as it would be very useful for sharing spare disk space between one or more friends or work colleagues to backup each other's selected folders and/or to improve sync performance, exactly like how BitTorent Sync does with sharing folders, but without anyone being able to view another user's files sync'd to their device.

So basically when you would go to share a folder, in addition to the full access, read-only and 1-time secret options, there would be a encrypted no-access option, where sync'd files would remain encrypted at the other end. If let's say the device with the original shared folder has a hard disk failure and was the only device with the decrypted data, then the user would create a share on the replacement device using the full access secret and it would then sync with the device with the encrypted share, but as the encryption key is derived from the full access secret, the data would be decrypted to the replacement device.

Another advantage would be that if your home internet connection goes down while at work, you could ask your friend or work colleague to switch on their computer with the encrypted share. As long as your data was already sync'd with their computer, it would sync with your work computer. Of course if your home PC + internet connection and their computer are both online, your data would also sync with your work computer a lot faster. B) Edited by GreatMarko
"Encrypted Nodes" have since been implemented in Sync

I wish for a way to sync a local unencrypted folder to a remote system on which the files will remain encrypted so that the remote system's users cannot decrypt the files, see any of their filenames, or even know how many files there are. The remote system should simply see their copy of the sync'ed folder as a single file. I think the implications include some kind of block-oriented encryption with some rsync-like behaviour for efficiency, but I haven't given the implementation much thought.

As it stands, I could use a TrueCrypt volume locally, but any minor change results in the entire volume being transferred. Obviously this makes no sense.

This + Restoring any version of any file + automatic deletion of trash after X days = perfect. Edited by GreatMarko
"Encrypted Nodes" have since been implemented, "versioned" files are stored, and trash (archive) items can be set to deleted after X days

Indeed, for linux if we could manage btsync via command line it would be great, allowing us to manage it through ssh when doing remote control (because with the web interface you want to restrict the access and the only way I found was to proxy with apache and add an authentification and I don't have a web server installed on my NAS).

ssh -L 8889:localhost:8888 username@dnsOrIP

Login, go to your browser and go to:-

http://localhost:8889/gui/

You'll route your connection through the SSH tunnel and pop out the other end as if you were the NAS box, meaning that the 127.0.0.1 IP bind will still accept your connection. Tuh-duh! Basic SSH tutorial.

As for the authentication, modify the configuration json file and add your authentication:-

VVILTwk.png

Yay for following the "README" file.

So here's my wishlist :)

1. Preserve file rights/attributes/ownership/ACLs

2. Allow the web interface to run even if shared folders is specified in the configuration - It needs to be configurable by file only while webinterface stays for reporting purpose.

Thanks for the great app so far.

There are a lot of great requests in this thread. We have been looking for one particular feature in a syncing-app: one-way sync. Which this app does, but if a user accidentally renames, deletes, or moves a file; there does not seem to be a logical way to return it to the state it should be at.

Wishlist Suggestion: An option in the client to re-pull everything (pretty much blows out everything in the synced folder of the read-only client, and re-pulls everything down).

I would be interested in this feature also, as it would be very useful for sharing spare disk space between one or more friends or work colleagues to backup each other's selected folders and/or to improve sync performance, exactly like how BitTorent Sync does with sharing folders, but without anyone being able to view another user's files sync'd to their device.

So basically when you would go to share a folder, in addition to the full access, read-only and 1-time secret options, there would be a encrypted no-access option, where sync'd files would remain encrypted at the other end. If let's say the device with the original shared folder has a hard disk failure and was the only device with the decrypted data, then the user would create a share on the replacement device using the full access secret and it would then sync with the device with the encrypted share, but as the encryption key is derived from the full access secret, the data would be decrypted to the replacement device.

Another advantage would be that if your home internet connection goes down while at work, you could ask your friend or work colleague to switch on their computer with the encrypted share. As long as your data was already sync'd with their computer, it would sync with your work computer. Of course if your home PC + internet connection and their computer are both online, your data would also sync with your work computer a lot faster. B)

I would love this option. This is the the main reason i don't sync with friends or family. i don't want them to have the ability to see all of my data.

Trust no one.

As a long time user of Windows Live Mesh and its predecessors (byte taxi) and now Cubby I see a few things that Bittorrent sync could add to make me a STRONG supporter. I am a professional photographer and use syncing to keep LARGE image libraries and editied images in sync with my business partner 60 miles away.

MUST LIST (live mesh had the first 2 of these but Cubby does not and it is killing me)

Allow files and folders to be renamed on one computer and have them renamed on the other computers without resending the files

Recognize when 2 identical files (identical file name and contents) exist on both side of a sync and not re-transfer them. Files might already be present when the sync relationship is started or a file may be added while the machines are syncing and recognize in real time that the file now does not need to be transferred.

transfer only the changed parts of files (not sure if this already exists)

give preference to transferring files to other computers on a higher speed (usually LAN) network before transferring over a slower WAN

WANT LIST

I would like to have some manual control over the sync so I could do things like pause a sync while I have other important work to use the WAN for.

Have a good real time status display to see what is transferring and to what machines is very helpful.

Allow files and folders to be renamed on one computer and have them renamed on the other computers without resending the files

Pretty sure it already has this, I renamed a 1GB file yesterday and it said "Syncing 1GB", however, after ~ a minute it went back to "Synced $DATE", so, I presume it realized that the 1GB was already synced.

MUST LIST (live mesh had the first 2 of these but Cubby does not and it is killing me)

Recognize when 2 identical files (identical file name and contents) exist on both side of a sync and not re-transfer them. Files might already be present when the sync relationship is started or a file may be added while the machines are syncing and recognize in real time that the file now does not need to be transferred.

transfer only the changed parts of files (not sure if this already exists)

I made a remote desktop connection to my work PC and from a few quick tests, these features are already implemented (version 1.0.116). :)

I renamed a 7MB file and several seconds later the filename changed on my remote desktop screen. Normally it would take 3 minutes for a 7MB file to upload due to my sluggish DSL uplink at home (40KB/s max up).

I copied a 8.6MB Zip file file into my shared folder on my home PC and copied the identical Zip file on work PC into the same shared folder straight away. A transfer briefly flickered in the 'Transfers' tab and the only thing that happened was that the time stamps were synced.

For the modified file test, I added a small text file to that 8.6MB file on my home PC. A transfer appeared in the 'Transfers' tab for about 5 seconds and then got a 'Download complete' notificaiton on my work PC. I checked the Zip file there and it has the text file, so this pretty much confirms that it only transferred the difference to bring the Zip file on my work PC in sync.

Edit: After a further file edit test, it seems like a partial sync is only done if matching contents of the file remain in the same spot at the other end. For example, when I deleted the first file in the 8.6MB zip file, BitTorrent Sync spent a few minutes re-uploading the file to my work PC. Basically, when I added the text file to the Zip file, everything else in the zip file remained the same as the text file data was simply appended to the end of the file, but when I deleted the first file, everything in the zip file would have been shifted towards the start of the file to fill the gap left over by the deleted file.

It's possible that the renaming detection only works on certain operating systems (this assumes that it's based on events, like those from inotify; it may be (arguably) more robust and compare file hashes/modification times I guess).

Edit: oh, if the modified file also works then that probably means the renaming detection doesn't rely on filesystem change events.

I use btshare only on lan or vpn and dont want sync over the internet.

Wishlist:

• global configuration to disable all internet related componets (relay server, tracker server, dht)
  • global default configuration for new folders

Thanks for work.

Thanks, finally a working solution without all that cloud-bullshit!

I tried the linux client on a mobile phone today (no Android, and I don't need an App anyway), and the Web-UI with Javascript-Popups is very hard to use on a mobile device (scrolling folders is very hard, popups close every time you miss etc.).

It would be nice if the content of the JS popup could just be integrated into one div on the page - this also works for desktop usage, no one really needs an overlay since the basic page only shows the folders anyway (not that much content)..

Please add an option to turn down the ping rate when the secret share is idle.

In general I find (when using OpenVPN) the quickest ping needed by a firewall is around every 15 seconds, linux based firewalls time out after 3 minutes, and most firewalls seem to time out a UDP 'connection' in around 2 to 5 minutes. SyncApp seems to be pinging every second which is serious overkill.

Some sort of auto mode where it backs off to the minimum traffic to keep the connection open would be very nice.

Of course an established TCP connection doesn't normally time out for days.

My favourite desired features are:

1. Version Control

-> collaboration with others

2. Publish Functionality

-> easy way to share files folder to the general public by generating a .torrent file and pushing it to your favourite tracker

3. Signing content

-> especially to publish stuff there should be some PGP-Signing of content to verify that a certain publication was released by a specific identity

4. An AWESOME SDK (OpenSource and awesome API)

-> using it to build decentralized, censorship-resistant, resilient communication-networks, maybe real-time applications (Voip, Streaming Videos, publishing content in channels, or even a decentralized Database as a foundation for a P2P-Tracker/Searchengine)

other than that....damn fine work you guys! really fucking awesome :D

best part is that it runs on a 3TB WD Live for 180$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136880

Request:

$ kill -HUP `cat .sync/sync.pid `

This command to cause SyncApp to do a restart; minimally it rechecks for the debug.txt file and reopens the sync.txt file. Ideally it does a full re-read of the configurations so secret shares can easily be stopped and started from the command line. Eg on a timed basis from Cron(1).

This could also be available as "SynchApp --config Configfile --reload"

Also on Windows, the ability to rename the sync.log file and do something similar without stopping SyncApp.

LAN only mode.

I dont want it to transmit/receive anything over internet, ever :) Removing the NAT uPnP and such is great and all but i want an explicit LAN mode so that i can rest easy knowing that noone can hack into my streams and that my LAN is not exposed.

I will come home every evening with my laptop anyway and i would like to let it sync then.

Does it support i2p?

It is necessary - anonymous download files and don`t think about blocked tcp ports

I wouldn't see this as required. SyncApp is more like a friend to friend application, where the identity of who you're talking to isn't a secret. The i2p network is more for being able to communicate and share with MrNowhere in a way that doesn't reveal to anyone who the peers are.

SyncApp already has a moderately high encryption cost, i2p would appear to quadruple that for a feature (anonymity) that isn't in the specification. In addition, SyncApp keeps a 'connection' open permanently between the nodes, this makes traffic analysis much easier and statistical traffic analysis possible. So if SyncApp were run across an i2p link it's likely that it would be a key factor in defeating i2p itself.

LAN only mode.

I dont want it to transmit/receive anything over internet, ever :) Removing the NAT uPnP and such is great and all but i want an explicit LAN mode so that i can rest easy knowing that noone can hack into my streams and that my LAN is not exposed.

Honestly, to have “LAN only mode” you only need to disable two checkboxes: the relay and tracker for a share. I don’t see the point of adding another checkbox.

1. Versioning

2. Ability to use own Amazon S3 bucket for file storage, so your NAS/Server will store files locally AND on S3 which results in higher download speeds over the internet. However, an always-on device is still needed.

3. Some kind of defining owning user and owning group on linux machines. In my case, I would like to sync data from more than one users on my linux server. Each one got it's own secret and directory, but since the BT Sync application runs as root, all files are owned by root.

4. Speed limitation only for external (internet) transfers.

5. Web UI for File Management.

3. Some kind of defining owning user and owning group on linux machines. In my case, I would like to sync data from more than one users on my linux server. Each one got it's own secret and directory, but since the BT Sync application runs as root, all files are owned by root.

This is easily fixed by running a seperate btsync (on different ports and different .sync direcotries) for every user.

Administrationwise, this is a pain, but for a few users, this works like a charm.

You could script it into an init script which starts on a configurable userbase or something.