Wishlist (Archive)

aurika

"Write only" secret: it would allow people to send you files, but not see what other people (and you) have associated to that secret.

Like the public key for GPG: anyone can encript, but only you can't decript a message. Maybe with an option to ask before actually downloading the files (to avoid spamming with huge files)

Having Read 34 Pages and Slept On It

I Will Have a Scenario I Will Be Trying To Implement 

Including Work-Arounds To Some Of the Wishes I Support ;)

And Specific Wishes That Would Make Each Work Around Redundant

I Will Refer To

Customer-0001

Tech-001

Supervisor-01

And Boss-1

Customer-0001 Has 4 Applications Installed That Tech-001 Is Responsible For Maintaining

Tech-001 Needs Handy Copies Of 5 Folders and 20 Files Scattered Around The System

On Customer-0001 Server I Will Define One Support Folder Containing

A rar Archive

A rar Include List File

A Pair Of Script Files For rar and unrar Options

This Will Be Shared To My Company Server In /Accounts/Client-0001

And unrar'ed To Tech-001's Work Space On The Company Server

Tech-001 Now Has Effective .SyncInclude Functionality With Versioning At the File and Folder Level

In A Single Share

And We Have To Set Up A Similar Method On The Company Server

For the Limited Set The Tech May Need On Each Device,

"Flag" Files .refresh, and .apply

Cause The rar To Be updated or unpacked At Each Level

And Are Then Deleted To Show The Process Has Completed

Pardon The "Rename" Of Control Files For Clarity

This Could All Be Made Native To BTSync With 2 Control Files

With A Couple Of Desirable Extensions

.SyncOffer

A Line For Each File Or Folder To Be Included In The Share

And Annotation Per Line That The Resource Is Offered

As Read-Only, Read-Write, Non-Updating (Is Only Resent If Completely Deleted), MaxVersionCount, Etc

And Lines For Exclusion Within That Set To Fine Tune The Share

.SyncAccept

Defaults To Identical To The .SyncOffer

But May Be Altered Per Device

To Limit What The Device Receives

And How It Handles The Files,

Of Course It Can Only Further Restrict Permissions and Inclusions

Not Override Permission Limits In the .SyncOffer File

And Run Hooks Would Replace The Need For The .refresh and .apply Flags

===================

At Present I Will Have To Maintain the Supervisors On A Separate Server,

And On The Company Tech Server Set Up The Same Style Of Configuration

Giving Supervisor-01 A Share Including The Work Space of Each Tech In The Group

I Think My Work Arounds Will Work ;)

Biggest Wishs

Private Tracker,

Including A Per Device Access Key,

Any Device May Be Cut Off By Revoking This Key

Yes That Means That

Every Device Would Need To Be Registered With the Tracker.

Logging Of Which Shares Each Device Is Participating In

Option To Push A New Share Key

From The Tracker

To All Device On A Share

A Lost Device Can Then Be Cut Off

And All Others Receive The Share Key Update,

For Longer Term Security

The rar File May Be Handled With Encryption Seperately

And Only Devices With That Key Could Access The Contents

This Gives The "Encrypted Archival" Node Functionallity

====

And Of Course The Boss Looks Over The Shoulders Of All The Supervisors At Need ;)

Yet Another Layer Of the Configuration

Thank You For Reading This,

I Look Forward To Seeing What People Have To Say About It.

In The Coming Weeks

I Will Attempt To Set Up The Scenario As Written

And Report How It Goes

To The Sync Hacks Forum

Regards

LoopyLyric

it would be great to have the ability to add default rules to the .SyncIgnore file.

for example, i've been syncing directories between my home and work computers...  i'm a developer so my files aren't generally very large and sync quickly, but i routinely receive giant psd/mov/etc assets from designers which slow everything down (and i can always re-download from the original source if needed).  i always add the following rules to .SyncIgnore so i can easily exclude particular large files...

*_exclude.*
*_exclude/*
exclude/*

but this means that whenever i add the directory to BittorentSync, i have to move these files out of the original directory, alter the .SyncIgnore file, and then move them back (otherwise, they are initially added to the sync and remain even after the .SyncIgnore file is altered)...  it would be an added convenience if i could add custom exclusions by default to the .SyncIgnore file.

anyhow, thanks for a great product!  and thanks for your time!

generate .torrent and magnet links for files to be shared to non btsync users.

Example: company has ten btsync nas on separate internet connections and wants to share large media file to a third party... each of the 10 nas single internet links would be too slow but together they could serve the file fast.

Since it might not be feasable to require the third party to download btsync it might be good to be able to provide a magnet link as it is a more familiar format for

Just an idea... Couldn't find it on the forum.

Is it possible to create a "href" (link) to a key?

To add it directly by clicking and start syncing after selecting the folder.

Edit:

Tried to create an example... but the forum does not allow me to.

Edited by rogger

Just an idea... Couldn't find it on the forum.

Is it possible to create a "href" (link) to a key?

To add it directly by clicking and start syncing after selecting the folder.

Edit:

Tried to create an example... but the forum does not allow me to.

actually, all you would need to do is create a link to BTsync and then put your hash key up for ppl to copy... doing a linkup for BTsync directly to the sync folder would defeat the purpose of BTsync... from my point of view anyways.

if you only wanted certain ppl to have access via a public hash, then a password would need to be added to the folder itself that you would have to pass out... again this would pretty much defeat the purpose of BTsync since you would essentially have two passwords.

that said, it should be possible to do a direct link using a server to be setup as a DNS type replacement to search for your BTsync client/IP/Hash-Key/Folder among several thousands of clients... a pain in the ass, as far as coding and setting up a server BTsync file and then create client credentials and reporting between them.

this would make BTsync useless as a private share program, because then it would be totally public instead of direct connection shares for syncing folders... would also create a nightmare in regards to the program client/server side programming, trying to keep out hackers etc. from gaining access via the the public link and public server acting as a DNS for the Hash-Keys for folders which also then have to be singular to every single BTsync Client.

I would love to see a feature where I am able to share a folder with friends and they only see the content but can decide which part or which files they want to download? Like in mobile sync, but for normal clients!

Sometimes you want to give people the ability to download files but do not force them to download everything. Because of space limit's or only because of no need for download everything.

I hope my idea is clear

regards

Versioning:

As an addition to my earlier post I noticed that the only versions that are made are on other machines that are on. This is of course completely in line with the way BTsync works but strange for people who rely on it for two reasons:

1. People wanting on versions on the machine where the file is changed have to search all other machines for old versions as they do not have the same versions depending on whether they were on or off.
  2. People wanting a version on there machine because someone might have changed it on another machine get a number of changed versions depending on whether the machine was on or off.

N.B. I'm talking especially about a file getting changed twice while your machine is off. Turning it on gives it only the second change.

I think it would be more clear to most users when the .SynArchive is also synced. Then all versions are available for everyone.

It would be nice to have a "download only" "secret" as well as the ro and rw secrets.  I put secret in quotes because I image that this could be done already but there isn't an API/UI for this.  This would allow syncing to remote servers without having to tust them because while they know what data is in the repo they can't decrypt it (assuming that btsync does what it says it does).

Currently remote servers must have at least the read only key, which is enought to decrypt the data in order to act as a mirror.

My wish is a better wishlist... take this as example:   uservoice's http://trendsmap.uservoice.com/forums/29419-general

I think that at the moment even if this is a young project BTSync is almost perfect.

I can suggest: 

• auto sync in wifi \ manual sync in 3g: an option on mobile version that can set different behavior on 3g or wifi

• symform+btsync: should be great to use BTSync to share freespace (like symform) or to join them ;-)

• windows portable version of btsync: in this way you can use it also where there is no way to regular install (without admin power)

• show connected devices (not only the number) also in mobile version
Edited by GreatMarko
Struck-through items are suggestions which now have their own dedicated threads in the Feature Requests forum

aid85, bittorrent sync is already portable. just the  download btsyc.exe and make a file called settings.dat.

this works great, the only problem is that when drive letter change is stop syncing.(missing folder)

My wish is a better wishlist... take this as example:   uservoice's http://trendsmap.uservoice.com/forums/29419-general

I think that at the moment even if this is a young project BTSync is almost perfect.

I can suggest: 

• auto sync in wifi \ manual sync in 3g: an option on mobile version that can set different behavior on 3g or wifi

• symform+btsync: should be great to use BTSync to share freespace (like symform) or to join them ;-)

• windows portable version of btsync: in this way you can use it also where there is no way to regular install (without admin power)

• show connected devices (not only the number) also in mobile version

In addition I suggest not only a read and a write code (the write code is de facto until now a read+write+delete)... but:

- read

- read+write

- read+write+delete (and\or move and\or rename)

Request #1

Summary: A method to duplicate and transfer folder syncs between devices. Perhaps import/export functionality. Even better would be some kind of login/authentication for folder management.

Explanation: The problem I am having is that I currently have ~5 folders in various sync configurations between 5 devices. When I setup a new folder, I have to re-add the same folder for each device. When I change devices in the future (new phone, OS/Distro change, etc) I will have to copy/restore a bunch of folders. Furthermore, if one of my device dies unexpectedly it will probably be even more tedious/difficult to re-create the sync folders.

Request #2

Summary: A way to selectively choose which sub-folders to sync when adding a shared folder.

Explanation: Suppose a friend/colleague shares a large folder with me. On my desktop I would like to download and sync the whole folder. But on my phone I only want a subset since the storage capacity is limited. Currently I do not see a way to address this scenario.

hello Team
Bittorrent Sync is fantastic. You have done a amazing job!

My votes goes for:

+1 Versioning:
Anyway, I have a suggestion to change the way versioning is handled. At the moment the implementation is such that older versions of a file can be found on all clients except the one where the change is done. This behaviour is not what most people (especially non-programmers) expect. By also synchronising the folder with the versions all clients have access to all the versions. I think that is exactly what a simple user expects.

Also syncing the SyncArchive folder would give you all versions everywhere without the need to dedicate one node as a master. This is completely in line with how BTSync now works, so I would guess it to be a minor change.

+1 "nested shares"

+1 Need button "Create Folder" in web interface.
This saves a lot of time, when adding key.

+1 show connected devices (not only the number) also in mobile version

+1 It is mentioned throughout the forum but I just wanted to give this a +1
.SyncInclude - if you search for it here you'll find what I mean

My wishlist:

Desktop:

- fix QR code display for large secrets in OS X (have not tested other desktop versions)

- Add ability to create large secrets integrating commands such as "head -c 1024 /dev/random | base64"

- "Backport" iOS style downloading of individual files instead of the whole share

- Add quick option to share files as in "Send files" on mobile version.

- Add QR code reading capability

- Add Write-only secret where it is not possible to delete any files on the other nodes

- Add ability to configure .SyncIgnore

iOS:

- Fix/Add ability to delete files permanently from shares and/or create write-only secret or option to select behaviour

- Include more config options to fine tune shares as in the desktop version

- Add capability to set up own shares on a mobile and share QR code/secrets with other mobile apps

I wish you would design your download page for any screen. On my EeePC, I've got 1024x600 and I'm unable to see the relevant downloads for (L)ubuntu. Scrolling doesn't work in Firefox, since the download window is not a regular page. On my iBook Clamshell with 800x600 I am having the same problem.

post-33976-0-52120200-1379633317_thumb.p

On my netbook I was able to get BTsync anyway from the forum post by tuxpoldo. Thanks! But on the Bluberry clamshell, I am totally clueless as to how to get BTsync working. I've read on the PPC Luddite blog that there is a PowerPC Linux build, but I can't find it anywhere. Specially NOT when clicking Download...

I wish you would design your download page for any screen. On my EeePC, I've got 1024x600 and I'm unable to see the relevant downloads for (L)ubuntu. Scrolling doesn't work in Firefox, since the download window is not a regular page. On my iBook Clamshell with 800x600 I am having the same problem.

post-33976-0-52120200-1379633317_thumb.p

On my netbook I was able to get BTsync anyway from the forum post by tuxpoldo. Thanks! But on the Bluberry clamshell, I am totally clueless as to how to get BTsync working. I've read on the PPC Luddite blog that there is a PowerPC Linux build, but I can't find it anywhere. Specially NOT when clicking Download...

I have also come across another strange problem: When syncing files from my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and my EeePC running LXLE (basically Lubuntu 12.04.3 with PPAs and fancier design) I have to shorten many file names to get the files to sync. This is VERY annoying since Linux and Mac OS X should have the same limitations for file names. When syncing large folders, BT sync just starts spinning when it gets to a long file name and it won't sync any files after the file with the long file name (at least so it seems from the front end). So I have to quit BT sync (on the Mac), find the file and change the name. Then start BTsync again, wait untill it hits the next long file name, find it in my folder and change its name. Quit BTsync and start it again...

After changing a couple of hundred names of files manually for my Book and article folder, and spending days to get through the folder, I was finally able to sync it. But I would really like to use the full title of books like "Ravenscroft, Thomas A briefe dicovrse of the true (but often neglected) vse of Charact'ring the Degres by their Perfection, Imperfection, and Diminution in Measurable Musicke.pdf", since that file name is actually allowed on both Linux and Mac and it tells me much more about the content of the file. Maybe it would be possible to check if the machine on the other end is a Windows machine, and if not, let file names be accepted as they are? Or maybe have a dialog pop up about the file name being too long and asking if the user would like to change the name, in stead of the user having to hunt down all the files and restart BTsync for each file with a long file name? I have given up on syncing my music folder because of this. Had to use sneaker net.

Otherwise BTsync is excellent! Thanks for all your work! :-)

I have a request. "blind sharing secret".

There are 2 types of Secrets/Hash/Codes. One is full access, one is read only.

Could you add a third one? This third hash would let other people "host" my content from their server, but not let them read it. It would still be encrypted for them, but would be available to the network. It would be an easy way for others to help me share my stuff and have it available with higher redundancy, but still remain private.

Additional/optional features:

--When I am sharing someones private/secret data from my place, I'd like to choose a maximum amount of disc space. If the folder is bigger than another person offers, the data tends to distribute itself over the network so that to still be completely available. - scenario: me/person A is sharing my 3rd-type-secret for anonymous/encrypted sharing with person X and Y. X and Y offer 1Gigabyte of data each. My folder is 1.5 Gigabyte. The protocol now has the tendency to distribute the fragments so, that X and Y offer the complete Data when combined. 0.5 Gigabyte is redundant. (for the future: btsync could even find out, which data is used/changed more frequent, and hold that data redundant).

--People can choose how much bandwidth (and discspace - see above) they offer for each encrypted folder.

--to better know, what's going on, the encrypted shared folders can be given names or describtions in order for the blind sharer/hoster (the host who doesn't know what he/she is hosting) to know what's going on. If the owner wants to share that. otherwise the folder has just an ip or name.