First impressions (v1.0.75)

highend

Hey,

thanks for the invitation.

Installed it on Win 7 x64 Ultimate and Windows Server 2012 Datacenter.

Both clients are running fine so far, encountered no issues.

Things that I've noticed:

- The client that is currently receiving files popups the tray info icon MUCH too often. Maybe add options to control this behavior?

Two of them should be:

a.) Disable popups completely

b.) Only show a popup when the transfer queue is empty (finished after transferring all current files

- Transfer speed

Local lan, no internet sync. Copying one large file (850 MB) via SMB takes 8 seconds. Both clients are connected via a 1GBit Network and their SSDs are not the limiting factor :)

Syncapp needs 35 seconds (roughly 24MB / sec) to do the same.

Any chance that this can be improved further?

- .SyncTrash folder

Would it be possible to use a global one, instead of one for each synched dir?

Otherwise it would be nice if we could just point to a folder where the deleted files are stored.

- .SyncID

I'm not a big fan of files that are created through sync applications (quite a few do that) in synched folders. Would it be possible to store these contents in a portable database (sqlite) or maybe in an .xml file instead? Ofc this should be placed in the data folder of Syncapp (currently C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\SyncApp\) instead.

One rather major feature request:

- A portable version (Windows OS)!

The current version does make only a few registry (thanks for that^^) so it shouldn't be too hard to store them in a .config file (ofc creating file associations for .btsearch | .torrent should be disabled in that case). Finally all the setting should be stored in a subdir of the SyncApp folder, instead of the current user's dir.

Minor feature request:

- A spinning tray icon when there is synching activity (has been requested already iirc).

So much for now, thanks alot for the new version!

--

Highend

Hey,

thanks for the invitation.

Installed it on Win 7 x64 Ultimate and Windows Server 2012 Datacenter.

Both clients are running fine so far, encountered no issues.

Things that I've noticed:

- The client that is currently receiving files popups the tray info icon MUCH too often. Maybe add options to control this behavior?

Two of them should be:

a.) Disable popups completely

b.) Only show a popup when the transfer queue is empty (finished after transferring all current files

Notifications are not optimal. You have the option a) just go to Preferences and turn off notifications.

- Transfer speed

Local lan, no internet sync. Copying one large file (850 MB) via SMB takes 8 seconds. Both clients are connected via a 1GBit Network and their SSDs are not the limiting factor :)

Syncapp needs 35 seconds (roughly 24MB / sec) to do the same.

Any chance that this can be improved further?

This is the next major thing we will improve. This is not easy, since sync on LAN and Internet is kind of different, but we will definitely improve that.

- .SyncTrash folder

Would it be possible to use a global one, instead of one for each synched dir?

Otherwise it would be nice if we could just point to a folder where the deleted files are stored.

This is our first version of Trash, so you could expect improvements here. Using global one will not work, because of removable or encrypted folders. Plus it won't work with versioning. We will have some improvements in UI, something like "If you have 1Gb in Trash, we will offer to clean it"

- .SyncID

I'm not a big fan of files that are created through sync applications (quite a few do that) in synched folders. Would it be possible to store these contents in a portable database (sqlite) or maybe in an .xml file instead? Ofc this should be placed in the data folder of Syncapp (currently C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\SyncApp\) instead.

We got this request. It contradicts with removable, encrypted drives, so it looks like this should be configurable.

One rather major feature request:

- A portable version (Windows OS)!

Exactly! Already working on that. However, to make things clear, first we want to make core bug-free and then port it to mobiles. Mobiles are our highest priority.

The current version does make only a few registry (thanks for that^^) so it shouldn't be too hard to store them in a .config file (ofc creating file associations for .btsearch | .torrent should be disabled in that case). Finally all the setting should be stored in a subdir of the SyncApp folder, instead of the current user's dir.

See above.

So much for now, thanks alot for the new version!

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the .SyncTrash folder:

Even if "Delete files to Sync trash" is disabled for a shared folder a new folder with this name is created, when a delete operation takes place. This shouldn't happen.

Another small feature request:

It would be nice if we could export the history (from the History tab) to a file.

I would cast my vote in favour of the .SyncID files and certainly against another breaking point like a sqlite database. I am particularly concerned about removable drives and I don't see another solution.

I am also in favour of a .SyncTrash in each directory. it's a pain restoring from a parallel tree ...

Would definitely love to see empty folders prune though!

1) Can the notifications be throttled so if 5 files changed in a second it just says "5 files changed" but if a single file changes, I'd still like to see that the file changed.

2) Another thing that's really important to me is being able to click on the notifications to go to the file. When a file was changed by someone else, I usually find myself wanting to click on it and go to the file and see what's new.

3) It's a little confusing setting up a folder for the first time (if you don't read the PDF). Maybe a toggle/tab in the interface would let you choose "Existing Folder" or "New Folder" so you know that on the second computer the user should enter the secret from the first file.

4) When I was looking at transfers, it was only transferring 2-3 files at time but it was connected over LAN so shouldn't it be able to transfer more like 5-10? Can this be a user setting?