Wishlist FreeBSD

Ignatiev

• 1 month later...

A "me too" here.

I did try it under FreeBSD's linux compatibility mode, but unfortunately epoll isn't implimented yet:

$ ./btsync --nodaemon
epoll creation failed - terminating: Function not implemented

FreeBSD uses kqueue, as does MacOSX. If btsync uses kqueue on MacOSX some kind of hybrid between the linux version and the FreeBSD version might work.

As a last resort there is a pre-beta patch to the FreeBSD linux compatibility layer enabling epoll, but I'm not brave enough to try it.

I'm adding FreeBSD to the wishlist sticky. I also tried to get it to load on FreeNAS (FreeBSD 8.3) without luck, because the linux kernel module isn't available.

Since this is a NAS distro, the source isn't there to compile from, either. I could probably get it in there manually but that's a lot of bother, especially with the restricted space on the OS disk (2 GB).

You guys completely rock! I've rarely had the opportunity to use a product where the developers are so engaged with the active user community and so quickly respond to major requests such as building the product for a different OS (especially when it comes to UNIX!).

I'm greatly looking forward to using the new build.

Will that ten minutes be configurable? I wouldn't want my freenas raid array woken up every ten minutes. Ideally there would be an option to only scan if the disks were spinning. Alternatively if you could make it so we trigger scans with our own scripts instead of on a timer.

Btw thanks for adding freebsd support :)

http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.0.128/

Please note that this is first release for FreeBSD, so there might be some platform specific things. Please also upgrade other machines to the new version. It doesn't have real-time monitoring of changes (Linux inotify), so folder will be rescanned every 10 minutes. This is not configurable yet.

Please let me know how it will work for you. And If you will have something special to say to a person who made this, PM me and I will pass this personally to him.

kos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.0.128/

Please note that this is first release for FreeBSD, so there might be some platform specific things. Please also upgrade other machines to the new version. It doesn't have real-time monitoring of changes (Linux inotify), so folder will be rescanned every 10 minutes. This is not configurable yet.

Please let me know how it will work for you. And If you will have something special to say to a person who made this, PM me and I will pass this personally to him.

kos

FYI libinotify exist on FreeBSD, you can take a look at the port devel/libinotify.

Of course, it'll be better to have a proper kqueue or libevent support.