Synchronization when the computer is off.

Mihakem

Please, not much kick. I got the idea.

The pictures have tried to draw the detail in which situations, and how to implement synchronization with the computer turned off.

Here as well, you can add memory function in your account (you need to create additional accounts or just implement the function of the binder storage "dropbox, etc") all computers / devices. With the map on which devices do not fully synchronize the file (an old version of the file)

post-18880-0-27453000-1361527179_thumb.j

post-18880-0-81886200-1361527184_thumb.j

And may want to implement the function in any way the folders to sync. On Monday I will try to figure how I see it.

But I think it needs to be implemented through such stores as dropbox, etc. Not necessarily to implement these programs in syncapp. Sufficient to establish their application to your computer and it will automatically sync the files that have been placed in the appropriate folders.

And do not forget to limit traffic. At work, I have no way to take files of 1 GB or more, but I can every day without any consequences to accept files of 50-100 MB

You can already limit upload/download rates within SyncApp. Setting & lowering these limits will mean that data is transferred at a slower rate.

I agree that you can limit the speed. However, I can run faster speed. But if you download a large volume traffic, there will be questions from the administrator. In principle, it does not matter, but for someone can be there would be convenient.

I'm more interested in the issue of synchronization when the computer is turned off. In the next branch is also seen suggestions for using Dropbox to sync. I made ​​a sketch of the first post on the basis of the work of this synchronization. I think that build dropbox in SyncApp not need (especially since it will be a violation of copyright), as can simultaneously run the application from the dropbox.

I can see the great thought about a middle station so to speak, but I don't see why you would use a service like Dropbox for it ?

Why not just use dropbox all together?

What I find very interesting is, especially in my case, is the possibility to use for instance a NAS unit.

My case is.

I spend most of my time in China. Here I have a workstation and two laptops.

However, I often do go back to Denmark, and transferring data quickly, which would be required, is a hazzle with the GreatFirewallOfChina and all.

I do however have, here in China, a NAS device. So during my stay in China, my laptops of course always keeps in sync with that.

In Denmark, I also have a NAS, so the plan is to setup syncapp on that one to.

In that way, the two NAS units have the time to sync without me having to leave on my computer.

Once I go to Denmark, I don't have to think about transferring any data - it's all in sync.

Anyway, it's my hope it will work out as smooth as I expect :)

I know that not everyone has the possibility to do this, but I don't think that SyncApp is the right solution, if you don't plan to have at least one of your units powered on at all times - to me, it makes no sense anyway.

At least my thought about SyncApp is, that it's for users who want to avoid having data placed at a third party service, suchs as SkyDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the great thought about a middle station so to speak, but I don't see why you would use a service like Dropbox for it ?

Why not just use dropbox all together?

What I find very interesting is, especially in my case, is the possibility to use for instance a NAS unit.

My case is.

I spend most of my time in China. Here I have a workstation and two laptops.

However, I often do go back to Denmark, and transferring data quickly, which would be required, is a hazzle with the GreatFirewallOfChina and all.

I do however have, here in China, a NAS device. So during my stay in China, my laptops of course always keeps in sync with that.

In Denmark, I also have a NAS, so the plan is to setup syncapp on that one to.

In that way, the two NAS units have the time to sync without me having to leave on my computer.

Once I go to Denmark, I don't have to think about transferring any data - it's all in sync.

Anyway, it's my hope it will work out as smooth as I expect :)

I know that not everyone has the possibility to do this, but I don't think that SyncApp is the right solution, if you don't plan to have at least one of your units powered on at all times - to me, it makes no sense anyway.

At least my thought about SyncApp is, that it's for users who want to avoid having data placed at a third party service, suchs as SkyDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive and whatnot.

i planned the same with 2 NAS in office and at home

• 2 weeks later...

I'd put a NO vote against this if I may, while the idea is interesting (ie: using a passive 'cloud' storage location as a sort of message store) it's almost certainly more reasonable to use the cloud storage as a traditional 'ftp mirror' style location.

Of course if it is done, it's just as reasonable to send the messages via email ...