SyncApp: progress

kos13

Just to keep you informed on SyncApp progress.

Currently we are working on:

- Fixing Windows 8 UI issues

- Improving synchronization speed for LAN

- Working on handling more than 100k files

- Adding support for 0 size files and files that starts with '.'

- Bug fixes, bug fixes, bug fixes ....

We plan to release next version in three weeks.

You won't be disappointed, SyncApp is awesome! :)

No kidding! I just installed the new SyncApp (thanks for the invite kos!) and it works beautifully! At first I had some difficulty because I didn't realize, on my second computer's installation, that you had to choose a folder. I just entered a Secret key. Maybe you can improve the GUI by giving an message, "Please enter both the secret key and folder."

In any case, all I want now is faster synchronization. It's transferring at 16 kB/s on a university network, which is terribly slow. Normally when I torrent I can get download speeds of 500 kB/s download and 280 kB/s upload. I tried to run SyncApp while connected to a private Hamachi VPN network, but that didn't seem to do anything. Any thoughts on how to make SyncApp go faster?

In any case, all I want now is faster synchronization. It's transferring at 16 kB/s on a university network, which is terribly slow. Normally when I torrent I can get download speeds of 500 kB/s download and 280 kB/s upload. I tried to run SyncApp while connected to a private Hamachi VPN network, but that didn't seem to do anything. Any thoughts on how to make SyncApp go faster?

They're working on improving speed - see Kos's post at the top of this thread "Currently we are working on... Improving synchronization speed for LAN"

Speed issues aside, I have SyncApp running via Hamachi between two sites.. so it does work! ...strange that it's not for you?

@pols1337 A couple of other things to check/be aware of as well.. it could be that your University network intentionally slows down/limits traffic on certain ports?

Also, in relation to Hamachi? Are you a "free" user or a paying user (paid Hamachi users tend to get better speeds, or I at least noticed an increase in performance when I switched from their free to their paid offering!) ...also, are your Hamachi connections to your other devices "Direct Tunnels" (shown as a green dots in Hamachi), or "relayed tunnels" (shown as a blue dots in Hamachi), as this will also likely impact on the speed at which SyncApp can sync your data.

In my experiences of Hamachi behind corporate networks, it's only able to make "relayed" connections, rather than direct.

Anyway, maybe this information is of use in helping you determine whether your slow sync speeds are due to restrictions imposed on your Uni network, your Hamachi connection types, or a SyncApp issue?

File amounts, types, and extensions:

3 x Short Movies (mp4)

1000 x Adobe PDF documents (pdf)

50,000 x Pictures (jpg, png)

100 x Microsoft Office documents (doc, xls)

I've checked it periodically throughout the day, and it seems like irregardless of file type, SyncApp stays at around 10 - 30 kB/s. I specifically remember the speeds on Adobe PDF (15kB/s) and one of the movies (10 kB/s). It's not a 'bad' speed in any sense, I just wish it was a lot faster. :)

Hamachi:

Free Hamachi user. Relayed tunnels (which is weird, because the two computers are ONE feet away from each other, connected to the same network). :( But I will investigate direct tunnels.

I also thought that maybe the SyncApp speed would be affected by my other downloading / uploading. Makes sense, right? So I disabled my uTorrent, but my SyncApp is still at 15 kB/s.

My SyncApp "Preferences":

Listening port: 25247

Limit download rate: 0

Limit upload rate: 0

I can't wait for this. It seems like the most interesting thing to happen to file storage for a looong time.

I'm using pretty much every cloud storage there is, the ones I'm most interested in comparing this with are Bitcasa and Mega but it'll be interesting to see how it could replace my current reliance on Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, SpiderOak etc...

I can't wait for this. It seems like the most interesting thing to happen to file storage for a looong time.

I'm using pretty much every cloud storage there is...

It's important to remember, though, that this is primarily a file syncronization utility - NOT a cloud storage solution!

It's important to remember, though, that this is primarily a file syncronization utility - NOT a cloud storage solution!

Yes, that's clear to me ;)

I guess my post gave the impression it wasn't though.

In fact, that's why it's the most interesting thing to happen :D

Cubby is cool and all but it doesn't let you sync with other people unless you use it as cloud storage.