Syncing home directories?

jlg89

I'm using BTS Pro, running under an admin user account, to synchronize a shared data directory between two Mac OS X servers, at two locations. That's working great.

I'd also like to sync the /Users directory between the two servers. I know I can use IgnoreList to prevent syncing for certain home directories (the local admin users, for example). What I don't know is whether or not BTS can actually sync all the home directories, since it doesn't have read perms on all the users' home directories. Is this possible?

Edited by jlg89

To clarify what I'm trying to do: The two servers are joined in an Open Directory structure, so they share authentication info for all the network users. I just need to know whether or not BTS is able to sync the /Users folder, due to the fact that the user directories are not owned or readable by the BTS user (though it is an admin user).

In case anyone else is trying to accomplish this, you should be able (while logged in as an admin user) to use the following command in Terminal.app to launch Sync with root permissions, giving it full access to home directories--and absolutely everything else on the system, so be very sure this is what you really want to do. I recommend only enabling this if you've configured Sync to only use predefined hosts and have disabled relays & trackers, but hey...it's your data.

# sudo open /Applications/BitTorrent\ Sync.app

You will be prompted for your admin password, then Sync should open with elevated privileges. Hopefully the Sync devs will add an option in the preferences to let Sync do this on its own...