accessing "sync" files without "syncing"?

sniglet

Is it possible to use access files stored via Sync from a device you don't want to "sync"?

I have several PCs that I want to be able to sync files with but I would like to be able to access those files from other systems and devices without requiring that ALL the files be synced to those other systems. Is this possible?

Here is the scenario. I have two PCs with an extra 2TB of file storage available. I want to setup sync between those systems to share all the videos, music, photos and other data that my family has. However, I would sometimes like to be able to remotely download just one or two videos or pictures that are stored on those 2 PCs from my phone or a friend's PC without requiring a general sync of the entire 2TB file share.

Can Sync be used in this way?

No.

Sync is not a "cyberlocker" (or whatever the current media buzzword is) it's a simple, secure file transfer protocol.

It transfers all the files in a directory and, unusually, any files you add to the directory to all the other copies of BTSync in the world that are running with the same secret key.

If you want to setup a different set of files you need a different directory.

But, this is Alpha software and things will change before release. Describe what you'd like on the wishlist thread and it may happen.

PS: You will probably be disappointed by your ADSL upstream if you sync single files from "your house".