Which linux version to run i386 or glibc23_i386?

It has been a long time since I have seen different versions of and app offered besides i386 or x64, can someone please tell me what the differences are and which one I may need.

I am running openSUSE 12.2 32bit (i386) on a server now with BitTorrent Sync 1.0.134 but want to upgrade.

I also run it on a 64bit box as welll, basically the glibc23 thing has me wondering.

Ignore the glibc23 version unless the normal version gives you errors about "GLIBC_2.4 not found".

Current glibc versions are around 2.11 IIRC.

It's possible for the x64 and i386 versions to run on machines that are officially each other.

I'm running the x64 version on a machine that's mostly i386; I can do this because my kernel is x64 and I have a few x64 libraries.

Normally the other way round is even easier.

Likewise on Windows. All 64 bit versions of windows have a full set of standard 32bit exe's & libraries; including XP64sp2 which has the executables libraries from XP32sp3 (or later) so only the 32 bit version has been released.

NB: If you upgrade to 1.1.22 you'll have to upgrade all peers from 1.0.134 because the versions are completely incompatible.