Large files syncronization

Hello guys!

My father keeps a Lotus Notes Database (.nsf file) bigger than 2 GB ! and he updates it everyday. I was searching for months over the web and asking to my colleagues (I searched even on BTSync official page; not on this forum, unfortunatelly).

I wanted to know if I had to download the file everytime my father updates it...

I found the asnwer in this FAQ: http://forum.bittorr...faq-unofficial/ --- in this link, there's also another link, to the full topic about the subject: http://forum.bittorr...__20#entry43532

---------------------------

Green - explanation that I got it

Brown - explanation I didn't get it

Sync splits file to 4Mb chunks, if one chunk was changed - it will be transferred. It works well on files that doesn't change the size, for example TrueCrypt volume.

If you add one byte in front of the file, all chunks will be shifted and Sync will not be able to detect shifted data. ----> could you explain better what is this about? anyone have any problem using Lotus Notes databases' syncronization between 2 devices?

Thanks in advance folks,

Basically, if you have a 2GB file, and you add 4MB to the very end of this file, only the 4MB you've added to the end will be transferred, and not the entire 2GB file again (as every other byte of the existing 2GB data remains in the same position within the file as it was before the 4MB were added to the end).

However, if you instead add 4MB to the very beginning of the 2GB file, this will "shift" all other bytes of the 2GB of data back... and so the entire 2GB file will need to be transferred again.

GreatMarko, what if the data I add to archive is placed in "the middle" of the archive? or in some other position that not englobes end or beggining of the file?

If you place data in "the middle" of a file, only the data from (and including) that point on will be transferred. Data that remains unchanged and unmoved before the point of insertion won't be transferred again.

• 2 weeks later...