Join a folder in Ubuntu

Hi,

My friend shared a folder on his Mac, he gave me the Secret code.

On my machine (Ubuntu 13.04), I have already joined another Folder shared by someone else. I did it when I installed BTSync.

My problem now is that I don't know how to join a new folder. When I launch Firefox and go to http://127.0.0.1:8888/gui/ I just don't get how to join another existing folder and how to put the secret code my friend gave me.

All I can see is how to share my own folders.

Can you please help me?

Thank you,

Gigi

Guest idef1x

First create a directory on your own machine where you want the new syn folder to sync the files. Than add it to the list.

You can't sync a subfolder in an already existing sync folder

I am interested too in an answer to the question put by cornegidouille, but idef1x, I think you may have misunderstood the question - or I am wrong :-)

What I think is being asked is this:

You set up a folder on the server that you want to sync to another computer. What do you need to do on the other computer to link to the server folder. I have done this on my mobile because there is an Android app to do it - but what is used on a desktop computer to sync to the server? I use Linux but perhaps cornegidouille uses another OS. I've seen lots of explanations/videos on how to set up the server side - that is easy, but no one appears to complete the story by explaining what to do on a remote computer to sync to the server. It seems to be left up to the imagination. I run the sync server on my server but control it from a browser on my desktop. Now, what to do on my EEEPC 901 running Ubuntu XFCE to sync the folder to the server?

So that is what I think cornegidouille is asking - sorry if I have got that wrong and I don't mean to hijack the thread, if I am wrong, but that is how I interpret the question.

Idef1x is right.

You create an empty directory where the files should go to and then you simply add the folder in the web-gui. The only difference from sharing a new folder to importing a shared folder is that you do not create a new secret but instead you enter the secret of the remote folder in that text field.

Guest idef1x

@technoboi: i read in your text exactly the same as in cornegidouille's, so don't see if I am wrong somewhere. Better let cornegidouille explain better if I misunderstood it...at least dswd thinks I understood it ;)

@technoboi: i read in your text exactly the same as in cornegidouille's, so don't see if I am wrong somewhere. Better let cornegidouille explain better if I misunderstood it...at least dswd thinks I understood it ;)

My apologies idef1x, it is me who just wasn't understanding this. Most of the information shows Windows/Mac set ups. I assumed that I would need another piece of software - but it is simple - you just need to install the same software at both ends. The password aspect is then obvious. Thanks for your trouble - I obviously didn't have all my lights switched on :-)

I've got it working on my LAN - now to try the WAN.