read-only-folder not updating completely, torrent errors

jaykay

hi,

on my desktop btsync says "1.3GB in 1067 files". on a second machine with read-only-access it says "1.0 GB in 1023 files". Additionally, files i delete on the Desktop are not deleted in the read-only folder.

I create those folder by initially copying it with external hard drives between my machines, as the network is quite slow. i already tried removing and re-adding the folder to btsync on both machines.

Logs are not helpful here, although recently i get some of these:

[date] Download using patch (diff:0) path/to/file/IMGP1903.JPG
[date] [OnNotifyFileChange] /mnt/usbhdd/path/to/file/IMGP1903.JPG
[date] Finished downloading file path/to/file/IMGP1903.JPG, writing file attributes mt:1281548390
[date] [OnNotifyFileChange] /mnt/usbhdd/path/to/file/IMGP1903.JPG
[date] Torrent magnet (<some hash>) status:137 error:<NULL> meta:0 conns:1 io:0
[date] Torrent IMGP1903.JPG status:137 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:0
[date] Force unloading torrent IMGP1903.JPG

although i can't find any that seem connected to the incomplete folder.

btsync versions are newest.

any ideas?

Hi,

I have the very same issue - Laptop has folder with 20100 files in it (out of those btsync recognizes only 19758, which is weird). This folder is mirrored via read-only secret to a raspberry. The raspberry lists only around 16000 files in its web interface, even though its preseeded directory contains more.

Debug logging does not yield any information - Debug file contains only FFFF. The log itself also does not report anything unusual.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions how to handle this because otherwise btsync suits my needs perfectly.

Thanks!

1. Take a peek at the .SyncIgnore in your share folder, maybe a rule disregards some of your files.

2. Permissions can be a problem for btsync.

3. Some international characters such as ß and é in filenames are troublemakers at the moment and the corresponding files are not synced either.

Alright, thanks for those hints nils. Regarding point:

1. This should only apply if had set it up to ignore something, right? Meaning it should not be relevant in a setup where I did not tinker with any settings beyond specifying folders and pasting access keys?

2. What permissions does btsync need? Any recommendations for Win / Linux?

3. Any idea how to identify these? Does btsync log "problem" files somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Hi florian,

1. When I set up a new share, the following entries are by default in the .SyncIgnore file on OS X:

# OS generated files #.DS_Store.DS_Store?._*.Spotlight-V100.TrashesIcon?ehthumbs.dbdesktop.iniThumbs.db

Maybe some of those rules catch some of your files...

2. The user running btsync should have at least read permissions to the files you want to sync. A brute-force method to make it so would be 

chmod -R o+r /your/share/folder

which would result in the the permissions for other to have read rights recursively. Be warned, as this makes all the files readable to anyone on that system in the specific share.

3. I am not sure if btsync logs them, but I remember seeing two separate threads on this topic.

HTH

thanks nils. i diffed the contents of both folders, and the read-only does contain everything (except syncignored files) plus undeleted folders.

so theres nothing missing, the numbers in the UI are wrong. and folders do not get deleted. i wrote an email regarding both to the team.

Ok, here's my update finally: As mentioned above I did a complete sync of a folder from my laptop to an empty folder on the raspberry (ruling out problems of recognizing preseeded files).

------------------

On the laptop Windows XP folder information lists:

20370 files / 1690 folders

BTSync Client recognizes:

20353 files so there are 17 missing even though everything in .SyncIgnore is commented out 

------------------

On the raspberry "find -type f | wc -l" and "find -type d | wc -l" lists:

18496 files / folders 1586 folders

Interestingly the btsync web interface on the raspberry lists yet another number:

18478 files

------------------

I tried to rule out issues of weird characters but a) files with characters such as "ß", "ö", "_" are transferred and b ) also synced fine in a small test folder.

Even though there are no transfers taking place anymore the sync obviously is not finished: BTSync on laptop reports "U: 40GB", on the raspberry web interface "uparrow 37.2GB". I let it sit for a few days but no activity has taken place.

So there seem to be a number of issues:

a) btsync client does not recognize all files and does not report which ones are problematic

b ) not all recognized files are synced

c) syncing stops without any information about what's wrong

I hope this information will be of use to anyone in nailing down the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this!