Speed Issue

forest

Hello,

I'm acquainting myself with bittorrent sync, but I think I've done my due diligence. Problem is BTSync is incredibly slow over the locally. On the gigabit LAN I'm getting a bursty 100k/s average. Is this an artifact of the BT protocol or is it a settings issue? I can transfer over the network otherwise at 8MB/s continuous. Also, I do have lan_encrypt_data off and lan_use_tcp on on both computers (a Macbook Pro and a PC).

Any hints as to why this might be, or is BTSync limited by the protocol? Thanks!

Firstly, check the icons in the devices tab - are they arrows or clouds? If they're clouds you're not connecting directly to these devices, and that'll be why your speed is lower.

If they are arrows, check that "rate_limit_local_peers" is set to "false", and check that you've not limited the upload/download rates of Sync.

In addition, if your devices have fixed IP addresses, you could disable the tracker, relay, Search LAN, and DHT options, and use the pre-defined hosts settings instead - this should give you a speed boost!

If none of that works, check your router settings - some routers for example give higher priority to streaming media traffic, rather than generic traffic, etc meaning that Sync may not be able to use the full connection speed.

So the connection icon are arrows when they are there (occasionally there are neither).

Also, although one computer has a fixed IP, the other will be a laptop, so a constantly changing IP.

The only thing that might make sense is the router issue, although I have a gigabit switch downstream of the cable modem, I'll investigate that issue.

Also, the PC is slow, so I'm thinking that might be an issue if BT takes a bit of overhead above FTP.

Yeah, I checked my cable modem (turned it off and connected the two computers directly) no dice, same speed. Gigabit speeds via FTP, SMB, etc. The only thing I can think of is protocol overhead or BTSync software issues. Even AeroFS runs at gigabit speeds. No idea what else to check.