Bug or feature: Android deletes files when automatic sync is off

hawibtsync

Windows 8.1 with 1.1.82

Android with 1.1.33

Linux i386 with 1.1.82

On my Galaxy Nexus with only 8GB I don't sync shared folders automatically. I only select files individually and they become downloaded.

For example. I have a big library (shared folder) with newspapers. This folder is not synced automatically. So to read a newspaper I click on it, it becomes downloaded, I read it and I delete it from the Android device after I'm thru with that document. This last step forces this file to become deleted on all other devices.

My wife has that same document on her device as well. So if someone has read that document it becomes delete on the other device. For me that's a standard use case.

Is it a feature? If yes, how to delete files I no longer want on the device?

Is it a bug? Don't know. But I think there's something missing ...

The behaviour you describe sounds, as if the Android devices have the master secret, i.e. read-write access to the share. On master shares, deleted files will also propagate to all other connected devices of that share. If you access the share with a read-only secret, then the deletion of a file on a RO device will not propagate through to all other devices.

On iOS, the client cannot delete files in a share, which is a bug if I want it to be used as a read-write node like any desktop and command line version. I have no Android device, but by the sounds of it you have set it up as a read-write device and therefore will delete files in the share permanently. 

In iOS it means, that with automatic sync, all changes will propagate to the iOS device i.e. download/delete files appropriately. Automatic sync OFF should leave everything as it is, and you can download files that are available.

iOS's implementation for an RW master node is not functional, i.e. if I delete a file, it only gets deleted locally on my iOS device and not on the other networked nodes.

1) Android does not have this bug, which means it can delete things 

2) It's buggy

3) Automatic sync is only one-way?

Ok, I see.

What happens on a readonly secret if the source adds new files? E.g.:

* One device has a big library. Another device receives readonly secret. This second device starts to remove files after usage without affecting the source. Now the source adds new files. What happens?

I did ask that in another thread but didn't receive an answer.

Is this way to go for small Andoid devices that want to keep up with new files but want to delete files as well?