Btsync-Daemon Can't Follow Symlinks

inkstain

There's no "hidden option" or "broken setting" - Sync hasn't been designed specifically for symlinks/folder junctions.

Whilst symlinks/folder junctions often become necessary for other apps, such as DropBox where ordinarily you can only sync a central folder - BitTorrent Sync allows you to sync any, and multiple, folder - somewhat negating the need for symlinks/folder junctions.

However, if you must insist on using symlinks/folder junctions, and they're not working for you, try creating them the other way around - rather than creating symlinks within the folder your syncing to a variety of other other folders, instead move the other folders to the single folder your wish to sync, and then create symlinks back to the original locations of the various folders you've moved to the one you're syncing. This will likely solve your issue.

There's no "hidden option" or "broken setting" - Sync hasn't been designed specifically for symlinks/folder junctions.

I didn't mention junctions. That's a uniquely Windows problem. It's much more likely that someone made a conscious decision to restrict symlinks for some reason or other. On UNIX, symlinks and hardlinks Just Work. Windows requires (considerable) conscious effort to work with a symlink.

And, in fact, I've created symlinks so that I can have a single, visible file share constructed from two distinct RAID arrays. Unless someone is willing to buy me a complete extra set of disks—and one set for the backup server—I need this to work as expected, or else I need to find a completely different solution.

If you have recommendations for more mature sync-n-share software, I would welcome them.