Fastest Off-The-Shelf Nas With Btsync/funplug Support?

damonrand

Hi there,

I'm after a fast (7200rpm), large (1TB) external drive or drive enclosure that is capable of running BTSync via funplug (is there any other way?).

I had a look at the D-Link DNS-320 with funplug but it seems to be end-of-lifed now and it had pretty slow transfer rates anyway. I'd also take a slow-ish NAS if it also supported fast USB 3.0 connection to my PC instead (so I occassionally have a fast option).

Cheers,

Damon.

Hey there.

I think it's related to what you expect from such a thing.

To be honest, I really don't expect a 1GBit Intel NIC inside such a box, no matter if it's $50 or $150.

I cannot provide you with a large scape experience, I just have a single NAS box -- which works awesomly well, compared to what I expected.

I have a ZyXEL NSA 310. It's a really cheap one, since it's only 55€ here in germany.

Currently I run it with a 3 years old 1.5TG 7200UP Samsung HDD. I don't have the exact specificatin at hand, but it's definitively not one of the fastest.

When connecting through telnet or ssh and do  "dd if=/dev/zer of=tmpfile bs=2MB count=1024", this creates me a 2GB tmpfile with 85MB/s. I guess that's nearly the fastest the HDD itself can reach.

Nearby, there is an ASrock S1155 board having an intel I5 3.2GHz. This box runs VMware ESX 5.5. The ESXs only NIC is the onboard Marvel one, so no performance wonder here, too.

On this ESX I just created an Ubuntu VM and copied some data to give you some numbers.

When trying scp, I'm on between 8MB/s and 14MB/s, depending on the cypher I use. The fastest is everything with arcfour with 14MB/s, Ubuntus default does 8MB/s. It's obviously limited by the NASs CPU, since the sshd is on 100% load while copying.

When trying wget from the NASs FTP server, I get 60MB/s. The 2GB tmpfile goes within 32s.

This seems to be CPU limited, too, because the "pure-ftpd" is on 100% CPU when copying.

In both situations I targeted the output to /dev/null ("wget ftp://mynas/files/tmpfile -O=/dev/null") in order to not limit the NAS performance test by local HDD issues.

That's not "blazing fast", but it realy is more than I expected.

I don't know what NFS and SMB do, I haven't set up the NAS for those. I would NFS expect to be close to the FTP performance, and SMB a couple of MB/s below.

Could you please give me a hint what kind of performance you expect?

Just to make things clear: I use this NAS as btsync offsite backup. It's limitation is the upsteam bandwith of the remote internet connection, so I really don't care about performance at all. I just ordered the cheapest NAS i could find taht was mentioned as working in the NAS thread.

Kind regards,

Stephan.