How Many Files Btsync Can Handle?

mr.twister

Hello!

I want to sync folder between several computers. All of them with Linux.

But Btsync freezes in middle of syncing.

I think it happens because of number of files - there is 82000 folders and 5000000 files and size of sync DB is 3.7 GB. All files are small and folder size is just 210 GB.

One of CPUs on computers is 100% loaded (there is 4 CPUs on both computers).

Please tell me - is there any way to tune btsync to handle so many files?

Hi,

The only limitation for BTSync are OS resources. Roughly, one file consumes 400 bytes of memory. This makes your setup worth of nearly 2.5Gb of memory space - which is pretty much achievable on modern PCs. 

It's a little bit harder with CPU usage. Every file needs to be read, hashed, encrypted, transferred, decrypted. Just a reading of whole directory from hard driver is going to take a lot of time - and going to take even more when calculating the hash of your sync directory tree.

Technically BTSync should be capable of handling all these files, it is just going to take longer.

Some questions to understand more clearly what happens in your setup:

1. What is your Linux machine HDD background? CPU architecture? Memory amount? 

2. How these files and folders are distributed? Evenly or there are some excess cases like folder with 100k files/folders inside?

3. What do you mean under "BTSync freezes"? It does nothing? Never responds? Can't connect to UI? How long did you wait?

4. If you can see the UI - did btsync finished indexing and shows amount of files and data volume to be synced?

5. Finally, the logs. We can try to find out precisely what happens in the BTSync if you turn on debug logging (instructions here).