Make Bittorrent Start Syncing Faster

rvanzon

Hi,

I am using Bittorrent Sync to transfer images to my webserver (Ubuntu Server 12). Which is great, because I can load an image in Photoshop (on my Mac), make changes, save it and it's live. Easy peasy, thanks to Bittorrent Sync!

The problem though is that when I save the image, Bittorrent Sync starts syncing after about 12 seconds. Is it possible to speed this up?

I tried to set "folder_rescan_intern" to 1 and "disk_low_priority" to false on both Ubuntu and Mac without results?

Any ideas?

thanks!

Well, a couple of things spring to mind;

Firstly, there is a known issue with Mac operating systems not detecting/reporting changes to files in "real time", and therefore Sync isn't always able to detect changes "instantly", due to limitations of the underlying OS.

Secondly, setting "folder_rescan_interval" to 1 second is not advisable, especially if you're syncing a large number of files/folders or large amount of data. Setting "folder_rescan_interval" this low can actually adversely affect the performance of Sync, and your computer itself. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but setting this value a little higher may actually help! The reason being is that Sync won't start syncing files in a folder until its index has been processed. If it's constantly restarting this indexing process every second (because folder_rescan_interval is set to 1), it may take longer to get to the files that have changed.

But in all honesty, a 12 second delay between a file being changed and those changes being sync'd isn't all that bad on a Mac operating system, especially when you consider that Sync is still in "beta". Even on Windows operating systems, a delay of a few seconds between a file being changed and the changes being sync'd is quite normal.

thanks for your your quick response!

I know, 12 seconds is pretty good for day to day usage. Only, I want to replace (S)FTP uploads with Bittorrent Sync which actually work great. Only. when you save an image and have to wait 12 seconds to see the results it works kinda counterproductive ;-)

I wonder how Dropbox does it.

The settings were actually only trial and error. I changed it back.