Connect Ubuntu Server (Headless) To Remote Btsync Server

terah

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answer elsewhere... I've searched all day.

I have an Ubuntu BTSync server that's running fine.  I'd like to backup the shares on that server offsite to a VPS in another location.  This VPS is also running Ubuntu server 12.04 and I'd like to get BTSync running in client mode there.  I'm not sure if there is a different set of packages to use outside the ones specified in the other thread. Or, is there a set of arguments that I can pass to the btsync binary to have it start syncing off of another btsync server?

Or, can I install the btsync server binaries on the remote backup machine and somehow use the web interface to start syncing from the local btsync server?

Thanks for any help.

Terry 

Oh.. that makes sense.  So, I have two ubuntu headless servers.  Fileshare (src) and remote backup (backup).  I've set up the ubuntu package btsync (via it's web interface) to share the files I want to backup.  I've installed the same btsync package to the 'backup' ubuntu server.  How do I tell the remote machine how to start syncing the local src machine?  Do you do it via the web interface on the remote machine or is it done via conf files on the remote?

So on server A (src) go to the webui and lookup the read-only secret for your share.

Go to server B with ssh and create a new folder (webui can't do it at the moment)

Go to server B (backup) go to the webui and start a new share, use the read-only secret instead of generating a new one and select the folder you just created.

And it should start sending files across.

But remember, if files are deleted on server A they will be deleted or moved to .SyncArchive on server B, default in linux is 30days history.(on android, delete is default)  It is possible to change that to something higher if a month isn't enough. I set mine to 10 years, I have plenty of space and I'm better safe than sorry.

Thanks so much dms2013...  I'm a bit surprised that worked!  I suppose that's the magic of the bittorrent protocol.  I was expecting a lot more configuration than that.

I've set the delete history to 100 days which is sufficient for my use case.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Terry