Reindexing After Computer Restarted

hinsburg

Sync will always do a quick rescan of folders when it loads up to check nothing's changed since it was last run. If you have very large folders this may take several seconds, although this process shouldn't significantly slow down your computer.

One thing to check; once you add folders to Sync, are you then allowing these to complete their initial indexing processes before you power off/restart your computer?

If you add a large folder to Sync and then power off your computer before its completed its initial indexing of that folder, the initial indexing process will start again the next time your computer loads up.

Sorry for buttin' in.

I had large folders in BTSync and the startup on my two Windows 8.1 PC slowed down to the point that my 4GB RAM Quad-Core crashed with "out of handles" errors. 15 minutes re-index at nearly 100% disk activity was the minimum for my environment. I did create two posts here in the forum describing the count of shared folders, files, directories and file sizes along with some screenshots. The 4GB Quad-Core machine couldn't handle BTSync at the end. The 8GB Quad-Core needed the 15 minutes until BTSync had finished its startup - and I usually waited for BTSync to complete before shutting down.

Please don't talk about "several seconds" for "very large folders". I can demonstrate the opposite at will. I dropped BTSync from my environment (2x Windows 8.1, 2x i386, 4x APK, 1x x64) a month ago and I'm back to usual start experience - seconds to start my Windows 8.1 PCs.

As I wrote already here, during BTSync start (at least on my Windows PCs) came a point where everythings running in parallel (loading the list of shared folders, re-indexing the first shared folders and transfering the first changes to/from the first shared folders). On my i386 machines I could see trillions of I/O on my files per day. For small environments BTSync is ok, currently. For my 16 shared folders, 200GB size and around 80,000 files it was a ressource killer. I will wait for the next Beta later this year.

I had exacty the same experience with "hawibtsync". Mine is a folder over 400 GB size and around 210,000 files, everytime even if it had finished initial indexing before restarting, this checking experience after restart is really painful, besides, sometimes, only several MB files are stuck over there before it finishes the entire indexing, so this seems a huge resourekiller and negative user experience for me. 

Other than that, I'm stilling using it for the advantage that it could sync unlimited files. Please, please get this optimized or fixed. Thanks.