Recover Secret After Machine Crash

hedgert

I had Bittorrent Sync set up replicating my wife's laptop to an external drive on my Mac.

My Mac harddrive crashed and so I lost my Bittorrent Sync setup when I had to format and reinstall everything.

I originally set it up with the secret generated on my Mac and then copied to my wife's machine.

So I a fresh BTSync install on a fresh Mac, with an external drive exactly as it was (receiving sync updates from my wife's laptop), and my wife's laptop with BTSync on it also as it was, but not having had anything to sync to for a few days.

Can I recover the secret (the BTSync install is asking for a secret) or do I just do a standard setup and declare the folders to be mirrored again from scratch?

If you were using full access secrets on both your wife's laptop and your external drive on your Mac, the secret will have been identical on both - therefore, just copy the secret across from your wife's laptop to your fresh install on your Mac and you should be good to go!

If you weren't using a full access secret, and your wife's laptop only has a read only secret, you will need to generate new secrets I'm afraid.