Sync Inside Classical Torrent App?

kuzko

Hello,

I was discussing with a friend a way to spread a very large folder (400GB) with many sub-folders and we stumbled upon a problem with the diffusion on BTsync  :

People doesn't want to install yet another program, so why not include Sync as a feature of the main bittorrent client itself so people would have access to the classical torrent management as well as folder syncing. 

"People will be reluctant to install yet another piece of software; bittorrent integration would make it instantly OK"

Can that be a thing in the future, is that even possible? (i'm a software developer but I never got into the bittorrent code), what do you think of that idea?

thank you for reading

People doesn't want to install yet another program, so why not include Sync as a feature of the main bittorrent client itself so people would have access to the classical torrent management as well as folder syncing.

By the same token, those who only wish to synchronize their files and aren't interested in downloading traditional "torrents" don't want to have to install a BitTorrent client! - so it works both ways!! :P

Hello,

Personally, I find myself liking the idea a whole lot !

We could see things this way

- the program Bittorrent Sync would be for people who

> want to create and maintain a synced folder

> only care about accessing to synced folder, let's call this a dropbox-like usage

- the Bittorrent client program would be for people who

> want to download from torrents, or create and seed them (obviously)

> only care about downloading the contents of a synced folder (no intention to create a new synced folder) and who already know about bittorrent

The pros and cons of adding the "download the contents of a synced folder, and keep it synced" feature could be

- cons : this might make your promising new venture look like, once again, piracy-friendly, which might hurt your public image

- pros : a MASSIVELY larger adoption rate.

As things are, many people must be giving up on sharing synced folders, because they believe the people interested in their work will not accept to install an unknown program, and they'll stay with dropbox, that is much more widely known, and can even work within a web browser or a popular app. But allow to keep a folder synced with the Bittorrent client program, and suddenly, you're mainstream at once, and there isn't anymore the problem of the adoption rate.

It's just my voice, but I would really like to encourage you to consider adding access to synced folder within your main client program :)

Edited by ecchioli

By the same token, those who only wish to synchronize their files and aren't interested in downloading traditional "torrents" don't want to have to install a BitTorrent client! - so it works both ways!! :P

hello thank you for the reply.

Well, I think it just make my point better ; because it would be just a feature, it would be simple not to use it but if if you're in the need to do it than you would have the power to do so.

it's not like the program would be monstrously heavy or anything like that by the way.