Read-Only With Local And Remote Nodes

Turoab

Node A is the office node. Node B, C and D are the home nodes (same subnet).

Node A as the master node, gives Read-Only secret to Node B.

Node B gives the same Read-Only secret to Node C and D.

Node C and D are currently syncing with node B successfully.

Question: Are node C and D supposed to sync with node A as well?

The reason for asking is that the nodes C and D do not appear to sync with A !

Guest proactiveservices

Yes. All nodes should be able to reach one another, as long as the folder is set appropriately (to use tracker, LAN etc.). Sounds like there is a firewall and/or, if using NAT, port forwarding problem somewhere. Keep in mind it can sometimes take a few minutes for all peers to be discovered...so don't watch the pot as it will never boil ;-)

OK. What if B, C, D (all Read-Only)  had files in them before they became Read-Only, or files added to them after they become Read-Only? Are those files are also supposed to be synched or is it that those files are ignored and only the files pulled from A are synced among them?

Guest proactiveservices

Scenario one: Some peers have files in them whilst they have read-write secrets ("before they became read-only").

Any files/directories which are additions, modifications or deletions to existing data on any given peer will be replicated to all peers.

Scenario two: Some peers have files added to their local filesystem whilst they have read-only secrets.

BitTorrent Sync will ignore these files.

You should stop thinking of computers A, B, C or D and see them as peers: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/peer#Etymology_2

"Something that is at a level equal to that of something else." There are no masters or slaves. There are those with read-write secrets and those with read-only secrets.

Read-write can effect changes to the data, read-only cannot.

Scenario one: Some peers have files in them whilst they have read-write secrets ("before they became read-only").

Any files/directories which are additions, modifications or deletions to existing data on any given peer will be replicated to all peers.

Regarding scenario one, what would be the behaviour if the scenario is as follows:

Scenario one: Some peers have files in them before they had any secret what so ever (" before they became read-only").

Guest proactiveservices

I assume you mean the following - correct me if I am wrong:

Files exist in a peer

The containing folder is added to BitTorrent Sync with a read-only secret.

If the file A matches the path of file A on a remote read/write peer, it will be checksummed and updated as necessary. (Useful for using a SneakerNet to "seed" a sync folder).

If file A is then deleted/modified by a read/write peer, changes will be effected to the RO peer depending on the sync folder settings, read-only flag on the file, local security permissions etc.

File B does not exist on any remote read/write peers and will be ignored.

Guest proactiveservices

"File B does not exist on any remote read/write peers and will be ignored."

File B is copied only if a read-write peer has the exact file in the exact file path. Files can only be added, modified or deleted by peers with the read-write secret. If a file is changed, added or deleted by a read-only peer, these changes cannot be propagated.

Ok. Interesting test results with no overriding:

The read-only node has file-b

The R/W folder shared the file-a with the read-only node

Now, the read-only node has file-a and file-b

Created file-b in R/W folder

The R/O foder does not receive the file-b from the R/W folder. In other words, the R/O folder's file-b does not get overidden with the same file name from the R/W node (and that's good).

Guest proactiveservices

There is an option for RO nodes (that is off by default) to "restore modified files to their original. I believe if you set this, file B will be overwritten.

Thanks for informing me. But in this particular case I would like no overwritting of the pre-existing files in the R/O folder (just because the R/W folder might happen to have the same files names in its folder). I like this default behaviour.