Don't Reindex On Boot

daishi4u

Why does btsync have to index files locally on every boot of the system? Can't the index file be saved and reopened upon boot? It's not like local files change while the computer is off and having to index on every boot really slows down the boot process...

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Why does btsync have to index files locally on every boot of the system? Can't the index file be saved and reopened upon boot? It's not like local files change while the computer is off

Because Sync can't just assume that because it's not running, nothing will have changed!

Take for example a scenario where you're Syncing with say a network share/external folder/networked hard drive which other users also have access to - you could shut down your own computer completely, but the next time you power up, files on your network share may have been changed by someone else - thus necessitating a rescan.

...or a further example would be where you just "log off" your computer (rather than shut down) - Sync would still exit in the same way as when you shut down. So, if you just "log off", and then another user logs in and makes changes to files in a local folder you're syncing, your files would go out out of sync whilst you're not logged in - again, necessitating a rescan the next time you yourself login and run Sync.

...so that's just a couple of examples as to why its just safer for Sync to perform a rescan of the folders it's monitoring each time you start the program - it can't just automatically be assumed that nothing will have changed since the last time it was run, especially if other users have access to your computer too, and/or you're syncing "external" folders.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the proper way to accomplish this is to use the NTFS USN Journal. I can't say that I've ever used it, but you can query if changes have occurred without needing a complete rescan. Link (Obviously this is Windows NTFS specific, I'm not sure about other OSes/filesystems)

As this is maintained by the filesystem, it should be correct between boots/logoff, etc. It *could* be wrong if you used a 3rd party NTFS driver when dual booting Linux. BT Sync should have configurable settings for when/how often to scan (if at all) or to use the change log and filesystem change notifications. This is especially important for more mobile devices where battery life is a precious resource.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...
On 2014/7/29 at 11:52 PM, mabellon said:

我相信完成这个的正确方法是使用NTFS USN Journal。我不能说我曾经使用它,但你可以查询是否发生了变化,而不需要一个完整的重新扫描。链接  (显然这是特定于Windows NTFS,我不确定其他操作系统/文件系统)

由于这是由文件系统维护,所以在启动/注销等方面应该是正确的。如果在双启动Linux时使用第三方NTFS驱动程序,它可能会出错。BT Sync应具有可配置的设置,用于扫描时间/频率(如果有的话)或使用更改日志和文件系统更改通知。这对于电池寿命是宝贵资源的更多移动设备尤其重要。

谢谢。

唔,为了数据完整性,还是出个单独的设置快速和完整选项更为可靠吧