Nested Directory Structure In My 'default Folder Location'

jake.sadie

I connected two of my Windows devices and set the default directory of both to be the My Documents folder. This is already where I keep a large number of directories I have been using with Sync in the past, so this makes sense.

Now, because nested directories have not worked in the past, I have shared a number of subdirectories in My Documents. When I select one of these subdirectories, it begins to sync (or become available) in my second machine, but this new directory is now located in the root of the default directory rather than being listed in the subdirectory.

It would be great if the following features were available:

a) not being chained to a single default directory that must act as a root for all of my synced data

B) if a subdirectory is shared from computer A, the known directory structure is copied on all other computers synced in My Devices and the subdirectory is synced in it's proper location

c) you devised another, more elegant solution for nested directory sharing

I connected two of my Windows devices and set the default directory of both to be the My Documents folder. This is already where I keep a large number of directories I have been using with Sync in the past, so this makes sense.

Now, because nested directories have not worked in the past, I have shared a number of subdirectories in My Documents. When I select one of these subdirectories, it begins to sync (or become available) in my second machine, but this new directory is now located in the root of the default directory rather than being listed in the subdirectory.

I think you mix up things there.

The Default Path is for when you add a share and a romote share of yours has the settings so it will automatically add that share and download the files. Then it will use the Default Path to store that shares data.

I sent a bug report last night about being able to have a root share and share subdirectories of that root share.

The subdirectorie shares will never sync on other sync instances. Only the root share will do.

No, I understand the point of the default share but my point is that, if I want to keep a remote share set as automatically downloading, it won't copy the nested directory structure when I believe it should. Hence, this is the feature request section, not the bug section.

For the sake of argument, let's say I don't want to back up all of the directories in My Documents, but only some. In this case, I'll select these directories and add them from device A, where they are originally located. Then from device B I'll pair it and things will start syncing to the default directory - no problems. Now, when I want to share a subdirectory, for example: My Documents\directory A\subdirectory A, I expected that the backup device (set to automatically download) would automatically create directory A and then continue to sync subdirectroy A. I see the point of the default directory trying to make things easy to find but I find it silly that one would not want to obey the same directory structure. Things can get really messy.

Oohhh sorry now I see what you mean!

So what you're saying is:

On Peer A you have "My Documents\directory A\subdirectory A"

you want for peer B to copy the folder structur to the "root" of your Default Path on peer A?

Wouldn't it be easier to just edit the SyncIgnore file to allow only certain directories in "My Documents" acting as your Default Path?

On Peer A you have "My Documents\directory A\subdirectory A"

you want for peer B to copy the folder structur to the "root" of your Default Path on peer A?

Almost. I want the directory structure to be mirrored to the root of Peer B. Peer B should look like: default path/directory A/subdirectory A.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second point about the SyncIgnore file. Care to elaborate? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I wanted (and I do) to share My Documents/directory A/subdirectory B with device C, then editing the SyncIgnore on Device A would not be a good idea. Instead, I might have to edit the SyncIgnore on both Device B and Device C, correct? I'm not strictly opposed to this, but manually editing files is not something I'm sure more users will want to deal with and so I'm trying to figure out a way to manage this without that hassle. This also scales poorly, if I want to keep adding directories to different devices.

To be explicit about my use case, I have the following directory: "My Documents\Other Devices". Inside Other Devices I have the following directories: "Device B", "Device C", "Device D", and "Device E". These connect to a number of other machines I use regularly around my laboratory, all running Sync and all sharing a single directory that gets synced back into my documents. I don't really want to go around and editing SyncIgnore files on all of these machines.