Bittorrent Sync On Atv1?

shermo

Hi everybody,

I'd like to setup a personal cloud storage device and I have an old Apple TV Gen 1 sitting around the house. I'm thinking about setting up something like Crystalbuntu on it and hopefully BitTorrent Sync acting as a sync service. Has anybody tried this? Any thoughts, ideas or alternatives?

Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have it working in Crystalbuntu, been busy toying with it lately but a tutorial is on my radar. Initial tests show about 60% throughput with default settings, which I am happy with. I would get occasional speed drops with XBMC running in the background, sudo stopping XBMC gave me pretty rock solid performance. Steady 5.5 MBps download of a 3 GB file over wifi and 7.5-7.8 MBps over Ethernet. Downloaded from iPad over wifi, which will be my main use scenario. CPU usage spikes to about 75% and then settles into a steady ~53% usage. Memory goes upwards of 15% usage during syncing, so really you gotta choose whether to use XBMC or sync. I think between sync, plex media server, and shairplay, I will end up installing Ubuntu server to it and run these programs on it headless