Offline Generation Of Secrets And Impact Of Authority

FFAMax

Hi Guys!

I am looking for solution for media content exchange system.

At first was used torrent file for each media-file that i want to share and which should not be never changed. Like a news printed on paper - it can't be deleted or modified.

So, i am looking few years for btsync and now pro version looking good, but:

1. As i understand, secret generated not at my computer - secret generated remotely by API and side which generate it already know secret and if someone form power side (like government) ask BitTorent to do something with folder under my secrets, i see possibility to loss my data.

I need totally independent system.

I am worry about it and at least want to know your thoughts.

Thsnks guys!

@FFAMax

Actually, key (formely - secret) is generated locally. You can put Sync to completely isolated OS and it will generate a key for you. Also, you can generate your own key - just generate 20 random bytes, base32 encode them and add leading symbol "A" to get a full 33-symbols working key.

Note, that 2.0 is using certificates and asymmetric key pairs instead of secrets - though key pairs are also generated locally.

Roman, may be you know, for what purposes needed API key in this case?

Why we should have API key for generating folder's keys?

@FFAMax

Actually, key (formely - secret) is generated locally. You can put Sync to completely isolated OS and it will generate a key for you. Also, you can generate your own key - just generate 20 random bytes, base32 encode them and add leading symbol "A" to get a full 33-symbols working key.

Note, that 2.0 is using certificates and asymmetric key pairs instead of secrets - though key pairs are also generated locally.