When Does Sync Sync?

I haven't figured out when sync syncs.  I am using Win7, an iPad, and an Android device.

Is Sync always running on Windows, or does it sync only when I execute it?  Ditto for the iPad and Android--is Sync always running, or only when I execute it?

When these devices are sleeping, is Sync running?  What if they are powered off for a day or a week?  What if they are off the local area network, do they use the data connection?

I realize that I would know these things if I had RTFM, but I have not yet seen a FM.  Where might it be?

Is Sync always running on Windows, or does it sync only when I execute it? Ditto for the iPad and Android--is Sync always running, or only when I execute it?

Sync needs to be running on your device for syncing to take place. If Sync isn't running, your files won't sync until the next time you run Sync.

When these devices are sleeping, is Sync running?

No

What if they are powered off for a day or a week?

They won't be able to sync during that period, but will catch up and sync once they are next powered on and Sync is running

What if they are off the local area network, do they use the data connection?

If your devices are on the same subnet/LAN, they will still be able to sync locally with each other without a connection to the outside world/wider internet.

I realize that I would know these things if I had RTFM, but I have not yet seen a FM. Where might it be?

Documentation is in the forum of the Help Center