Bittorent Sync For Small Business Use And Number Of Computers Attached

sloppy

Hi,

Really disappointed that you are charging for small business use now. Unlike most people I dont want to just use the free version illegally.

If I do purchase PRO, how many computers does this cover? And how many NAS users?

I am ready to give up BT Sync at the cost... If the pro doesn't cover multiple devices you have probably lost me for sure - better to go with google docs and dropbox.

Please let me know. Up until you let me know and the decision is made, will probably use the free version.

Don't make it impossible to use this for small businesses. I used to be a fan of yours :-(

Thanks

Edited by sloppy

If you use the same identity for every computer and NAS to have only one pro subscription, every device in your business will be the owner of every folder that is shared.

If you plan to have different users, which should only have access to their folder(s), you will need a separate identity for every user, and a separate pro subscription.

Really disappointed that you are charging for small business use now. Unlike most people I dont want to just use the free version illegally.

You couldn't have worded that just a little better? I'm not entirely sure how one *would* use a free version of a product illegally. Most of us want to purchase it for a fair price that doesn't include a subscription. Or so we proclaim. If Bittorrent Inc. heeds our words, perhaps one day we'll have the opportunity to put our money where our mouth is. 

As per your question, it depends on how you use the product. If you share indiscriminately, then you could just use the same identity on all. If not, I'm guessing you could have a master paid account and then install free accounts with separate identities on other machines that don't require 10 shares?

Thanks Guys

Mexter, yes, I agree... I would be prepared to pay a once-off... The subscription aspect is disappointing.... whether you are business or personal.

Also... As far as I can see... they are making it illegal to use the free version for business use. Not great if you are not a cash cow big business. We went to bittorent in the first place because it was cheaper than Google / Dropbox - in addition to the non cloud aspects.

Its a pity to see Bittorent crippling what could be a very popular product by subscription. :-)

Thanks Guys

Mexter, yes, I agree... I would be prepared to pay a once-off... The subscription aspect is disappointing.... whether you are business or personal.

Also... As far as I can see... they are making it illegal to use the free version for business use. Not great if you are not a cash cow big business. We went to bittorent in the first place because it was cheaper than Google / Dropbox - in addition to the non cloud aspects.

Its a pity to see Bittorent crippling what could be a very popular product by subscription. :-)

Actually, that's a pretty good question. Where has it said that Sync can't be used for business? All I've found is "Licensed for Business Use" under the non free category of a features list. But a list of features isn't legally binding. They haven't updated the site TOS since mid-2013. The EULA is a bit over a month old, and has this:

"Single User license. Subject to your compliance with these terms and conditions, BitTorrent, Inc. grants you a personal, freely revocable, limited, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, non-assignable license to use the Software, solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes, and you may not use the Software for internal use as an end user if you are a business except if you have a valid license for BitTorrent Sync Pro. BitTorrent, Inc. reserves all rights in the Software not expressly granted to you here."

I am not a legal expert in any way. My reading is that you just need "a valid license for BitTorrent Sync Pro." This does not say that you need one for every single user. Presumably all equipment would belong to your business, so you're not sub-licensing anything by installing Pro everywhere.

If your scenario requires different BTsync identities then it's a bit of a grey area. The question is whether or not you can use the Free version for sharing between users so long as you at least have one license. The EULA is shockingly brief on this subject and doesn't appear to explicitly rule it out. But again, I'm no legal expert.

If your scenario can get by on a single BTsync Identity and just shares information around without worry about who accesses it, I would say you're in the clear with a single license. 

Agreed about the company crippling the software, but I'm trying VERY hard to stick to the business at hand, since I've been outspoken enough on other threads. 

Here's the EULA:

https://www.getsync.com/legal/eula

Perhaps somebody here will have a more nuanced opinion. (Particularly since BT seems intent on not communicating these days)

So, I have reluctantly paid for my first year of BTSync Pro as I only need 1 license. I am using it in a small business where I am syncing files from 29 devices to a central server. I am running BTSync as a service on Windows Server 2008 r2 using srvany.exe but with version 1.4 I found that it would just stop syncing to some sites randomly until I stopped and restarted the service on the server and the process on the . I wrote a batch file that kills the service and restarts it and I run it every hour on the server. On the remote devices I have a second batch file that kills the process and restarts it every hour as it is not running as a service but this seemed like the only solution to have it run hands off.

There are 2 drawbacks to this. The first is that if you want to bring up the UI on the server, you have to stop the service and run BTSync. The second is that on the remote machines, the system tray fills up with many BTSync icons until someone hovers over each one and then all but one will disappear. I have no idea if remote sites would stop syncing on v2.0 and maybe my batch files are unnecessary now but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am not sure BTSync would give me much support considering I am using a workaround to run it as a service, which should already be a feature. This is why I have never asked for help when the syncing stops.

Honestly though $50/year is a reasonable price for me when I compare the functionality to something like Syncplicity or Sugarsync which cost a fortune. I have just read about Syncthing on here and it can't be run as a service without a workaround either but I may do some testing with it over the next year and switch to it for free if BTSync does not add this feature.