Btsync 2 Slows To Crawl Until Restart

gwbaker

I have installed BT Sync 2 (latest versions, just installed) on a WD Mycould EX4 box (dual 1GB ethernet connected) and on a Windows 7 Netbook (Wireless 802.11ac Dual Band and router - Netgear WRT1900AC) with a usb hdd attached to the netbook.  I am trying to sync approximately 1.5 TB of data between the two and all starts out well with a transfer rate of around 5MB fluctuating up and down, but hovering around 5MB. 

After a night of sleep I return to find it transferring at 500K a second and predicting over a month to finish.  So, I restart the app in the WD Mycloud EX4 and right back to 5MB.  After 5 hours of errands I return home and back to 500k a second and a month predicted end date.  I restart the WD Mycloud BT Sync app again, and right back to 5MB a second.

I this is going to keep repeating, I do not see the value here.  What could be going wrong??

Here is another note that is ODD.  I am working on building a "speed profile" and according to the WD MyCloud EX4 BT Sync software, the current transfer is sending at around 2MB a second.  On the netbook end, the BT Sync software is reporting that it is receiving at 20MB a second.

Edited by gwbaker

Hi all.

I've been browsing the net for a while about this problem and tried a few settings in the advanced menu but my situation is this.

1. I have a computer on a wired LAN that has an external USB that holds 500GB+ of movies

2. I have a computer upstairs on wifi (802.11ac) that also uses an external USB.

I am trying to transfer from 1 > 2.  The problem being that even before I upgraded to 802.11ac I was getting about 5-6MB/s speeds.  Now that my connection rate has gone from 150mbps to 300+mbps I'm getting the exact same.

Also at times the transfer just stops altogether.  I fix this by pausing the torrent and resuming it.  Then it continues as normal.  I have noticed that the external USB on #2 spins down occasionally and am wondering if BTSync is having problems when that happens.

So my question is:

1) Why haven't my speeds increased?

2) Whats the cause of the random stoppages?

Please let me know if logs or anything need to be provided.  I assume I'd have to sanitize them so haven't included with this post.

Many thanks!

Richard

Well, I see that the forums generate NO response.  Email tech support takes over a day to ask and answer one question and I suspect that many more questions are coming.  So at this rate I might resolve an issue within the month.  Which, at the rate my data is transferring, 1.8GB will take a month to copy. 

So far, not acceptable!

OK I noticed that when I pause/restart the torrent my external USB HD spins up again and the torrent continues.  I've installed on both machines an application called NoSleepHD which writes a file to the external disk every few minutes to stop it spinning down.  Right now my torrents are continuing to sync, the only problem being the wild fluctuations between 500kbps and 6Mbps which I have no idea about.

Hope this helps someone.  Will update if I find any further solutions.

guyrush

It seems our setups are somewhat similar as are our experience with transfer rates.

For the past 24 hours, my speed was 3+ MB a second every time I checked.  At about the 26 hours mark I noticed the speed was hovering around 1.2 MB a second.  Having read your post about pausing, I thought I would try it also.  For over 30 minutes, the speed stayed around 1.2 MB a second.  I paused the sync, waited 10 seconds and resumed.  Immediately the speed jumped back up to around 5 MB a second.

I wonder why that happens?  It is becoming clear we will need to cross our fingers for answers from other users with the same experience as tech support seems to bet quite limited in their staffing.

Seems like a similar situation.  Even with my NoSleepHD solution I  find that the daemon just stops transferring randomly. Pausing and restarting the torrent brings it back up to 6Mbps for A WHILE.  I go away for a while, come back and it doesn't even say 'receiving' any longer.  

The log files aren't particularly helpful to me at least, even if I am a software engineer.  Have you looked at yours yet?

c:/Users/Appdata/roaming/Bittorrent Sync/sync.log

EDIT:  This time I also removed the DHT and relay settings as I'm fully transferring inside my LAN - no effect. Neither does increasing the buffer size for me at least.  I wonder what is going on - Bittorrent over the internet totally maxes out all my bandwidth.  I tried turning QoS off at the router as well to no avail.

Edited by guybrush

Unfortnately you are lightyears ahead of me in the engineering department.  I am an barely familiar with linux, I just know how to read and follow directions from those smarter than me.  So, other than offering my observations above, I will likely be of little help. 

Back to the issue...  I was syncing over 1.6TB and the last two days of syncing my speed stayed over 4MB a second every time I checked.  After the first 24 to 36 hours, the speeds settled and stayed pretty steady.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm an engineer so its my job LOL!

I upgraded my media center to windows 8.1 and after installing everything again from scratch my transfer speeds are much more consistent.  I'm getting roughly 4MB/s across my torrents which is good enough for me as I just want to sync pirated movies between two PCs.  One thing is for sure though, this application is certainly not worth paying for in its current state.  Too many bugs need ironing out.

Good grief.  Now my pictures folder has just disappeared after fully syncing, and my movies folder has a 'database error' yet it can find the resource I'm sharing just fine.  I think I'm giving up on this application for now, its a great idea but for now it is just useless.

OK I found a new application called Syncthing.  Does a similar job but looks better and hopefully has less bugs. Will try and remember to update with my findings.

Edited by guybrush

OK as it turns out Syncthing is bloody awesome.  Unfortunatley it does pop up a terminal window showing techie output but as long as you don't close it then there shouldn't be any problems.  My two computers are happily syncing away and I can hear my hard drive being churned as we speak.  

There are some bugs, and you have to restart it a few times to get settings to apply.  But unlike BTSync's purely random way of operation, this one actually works well and as you'd expect it to.  Oh and it is free.