"progress" Field Numbers Meaning

andy_mou

Hi,

We have been trying to sync big files across many of our servers and desktops, it works pretty well, thank you BitSync team, great job!

Now I've been asked the question that how does those percentages get calculated showed in the "Progress" field.

Say I have a folder contains many files and shared with some other users( files were added continuously).

On the share server or the receiver desktop, does 1% means the same thing? What's exactly doest it mean when I see 1% uploaded or 1% download.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

The percentage is a bit tricky in Sync: due to distributed nature, you never know the precise amount of data that resides in a folder. There might be a peer that have more data in a folder - but you simply have no contact with it right at the moment, while remote peer can have contact.

So the progress shows the percentage of data left to upload / download since this data was requested by us / remote peer. For example, if remote peer has 10 files of 10 gigs in total, and we started getting them, progress will crawl from 0 to 100% measuring these 10 gigs. If then we've stopped in the middle of transfer and started it again (and we are missing 5 gigs) - progress will start again from 0 to 100%, this time measuring leftover 5 gigs.

Hope it helps.