Question About Sync

WizShaw

Say I have a harddrive, and I want to distribute updates to that harddrive to a number of people who have bought a harddrive from me. If I set everyone to read only permissions. That basically means ill be the only one distributing new additions from my master to others correct? But what if I gave people read and write permissions? And say there were 3 copies of a file, I had the newest one, somebody else had the second newest and the third person had the oldest. Would only the newest copy be spread around the hive? Or would the second newest file be shared as mine would be?

Thank you for your time.

This sounds like a great program and as soon as I get an answer. Ill purchase a licence.

Chris

If I set everyone to read only permissions. That basically means ill be the only one distributing new additions from my master to others correct?

Not quite; only changes from your "master" device will propagate to other devices, however once those changes have been received by one of those devices, it will also start contributing to propagating those changes to the other read-only devices in your "mesh" to help all the other read-only nodes get the master changes quicker.

But what if I gave people read and write permissions? And say there were 3 copies of a file, I had the newest one, somebody else had the second newest and the third person had the oldest. Would only the newest copy be spread around the hive? Or would the second newest file be shared as mine would be?

Assuming all devices are read/write and online, then whichever has the "newest" copy of a file will propagate to all other devices.

This may temporarily be different if one or more devices is temporarily offline. For example, let's say you have three devices which are currently out-of-sync. Device A has the "latest" version of a file, device B has the second latest, and device C the third latest. If A is offline, the file on device B will appear to be the "latest" and will propagate to C. However, assuming no other changes to the file, once A comes back online, Sync will see that A has a newer version of the file than B or C have, and so the file from A will then propagate to B and C