Recommended Pc Specs

phil05

i'll be building a pc specifically for syncing games to remote/lan computers

main pc role:

complete games + online games

online games will always be updated in this pc

once updated, it will sync updated files/folders to remote or networked computers

remote/networked computers

will only just receive updated files from main pc

what recommended specs should the main pc have?

proc: ?

mems? 

i'll be using either 1 or 2 ssd's in raid0 config as a start

about 200-600 remote computers to be synced

about 1-1tb total files

tia

I see a couple of issues here. First of all, sync will only work with 100 peers at a given moment. Secondly, what kind of games are you talking about? If these are Windows games, don't they need registry entries, etc. as well?

In general, sync has quite modest requirements, since each peer will also start sharing data.

@phil05

Memory

Sync consumes roughly 0.8-1.5Kb of memory per file (folder) depending on file (folder) actual path length (the more lengthy file/folder path, more memory it takes). Memory consumption does not depend on actual folder size. So having, say, 100K files to be synced will result in around 100-150Mb of memory consumed by Sync.

CPU consumption

Sync mostly consumes CPU during re-hashing changed files enc encrypting them while sending. We've got some reports from field that low-profile CPUs (like ones for NAS and other embedded devices) may experience slow speed due to CPU overload, though reports about CPU overload on desktop-class computers are really rare even with large amount of peers.

Also, for your setup it would be optimal to proceed with IT due to exceeding amount of peers.