Sync Questions

squirrellydw

Hi everyone, just installed BTsync on my unread server and I have a few questions.  

1. do I need to install the software on all my computers that I want sync'd?

2. If I want my music library to on my computer (Mac Mini) to be the same as on my server (unRaid) do I do that from the computer or the server?  The library on my computer (Mac Mini) is currently more up to date than my unRaid Server and would like them to be the same.

Currently using the free version but if this works out I will be updating to Pro

Thanks for any help you can give me.

1. do I need to install the software on all my computers that I want sync'd?

Yes!

2. If I want my music library to on my computer (Mac Mini) to be the same as on my server (unRaid) do I do that from the computer or the server? The library on my computer (Mac Mini) is currently more up to date than my unRaid Server and would like them to be the same.

You'll need to install Sync on both devices, and add the location where your music is stored on one of your devices.

Once the folder has been added, copy the folder's "key" from within Sync's UI, and enter it into Sync on your other device. On this second device, set the incoming folder's destination to the location where your music library resides on that device.

This will link the two folders together. Sync will work its magic to determine which files are missing on either device, and which device has newer files, etc and transfer accordingly. The end result being that you'll have two folders "in sync" (i.e. the contents will be the same in both)

Two things to check:

1) Do those sizes include the contents of the hidden .sync folder within each? (By default, when you delete a file on device A, on device B, the file is simply moved to .sync/Archive where it will remain for 30 days)

2) Check the .sync/IgnoreList file - it may be that some of the files you wish to sync are currently being "ignored"

OK, I don't have any ignore texts files in the .sync folder.  This is whats in the .sync folder

Parent Directory    

559BDE93438F7FEFE021488D1B38B8CF7E7196D7.db 159 MB 2015-12-10 17:45

559BDE93438F7FEFE021488D1B38B8CF7E7196D7.db-wal 2.59 MB 2015-12-10 18:25

settings.dat 2.20 KB 2015-12-10 10:44

settings.dat.old 2.17 KB 2015-12-10 10:44

sync.dat 1.04 KB 2015-12-11 11:15

sync.dat.old 1.04 KB 2015-12-10 17:55

sync.lng 101 KB 2015-12-10 10:43

sync.pid 3 B 2015-12-10 10:43

webui.zip
Edited by squirrellydw

OK, I don't have any ignore texts files in the .sync folder.  This is whats in the .sync folder

That's not the .sync folder - I'm referring to the hidden .sync folder that's created within each folder you add to Sync. You'll find the IgnoreList file within these folders.

IgnoreList files exists and contain a set of default filters - so just because you've not added any rules yourself doesn't mean that your files/folders aren't being "filtered".

As Moe indicates, the Sync Help Center is your friend! - i.e. see: Ignoring Files in Sync (IgnoreList)