Main Office Folder Sync To Remote Office, Os X Server Or Synology Nas ?

in my main office we have an OS X server with a shared folder. We have a remote office many states away that has access to the main office OS X server but the access to the shared folder is very, very slow. What I would like to do is use Sync on my OS X server and sync the shared folder to a folder on a synology NAS in the remote office. I was going to setup the NAS at the new office and manually transfer most of the data (1.5TB of data)  then setup the Sync software and see if the sync worked. If it worked I was then going to ship the NAS to the remote office then see if it updated across the internet.

1. I have a feeling that the Sync when install on a Synology NAS is really to have clients sync data to and from  the NAS and not really be a client to another device? is that right? Because my need would be getting my main office shared folder data on to a shared folder on the NAS in the remote office.

2. I would think if I had an OS X server in the remote office I could set it up to sync from the main server just by putting the Sync software on both severs? The only advantage of using the Synology NAS is that it is cheeper than and OS X server and should work fine for the view users we have in the remote office.

Could anyone let me know if my idea able is plausible? if you have any questions or I was not clear let me know.

Hi Scott,

1. I have a feeling that the Sync when install on a Synology NAS is really to have clients sync data to and from  the NAS and not really be a client to another device? is that right? Because my need would be getting my main office shared folder data on to a shared folder on the NAS in the remote office.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question, but you can proceed with Sync + NAS in 2 ways:

1) Install Sync on NAS. Sync will deliver files to NAS and your users can access these files over SMB, FTP or any other means you got used to.

2) Install Sync on some other client and force it to sync files to NAS over SMB/CIFS. Actually, bad idea. SMB works very differently than any file system, it's slower and our users often encounter issues with permissions and file notifications in such setups.

2. I would think if I had an OS X server in the remote office I could set it up to sync from the main server just by putting the Sync software on both severs? The only advantage of using the Synology NAS is that it is cheeper than and OS X server and should work fine for the view users we have in the remote office.

As I mentioned above - you can run Sync on Syno. Although, one of the most often mistake in such setups is that admins installing Sync on NAS want it to be able to Sync millions of files and get surprised that NAS runs out of memory and CPU power. What is the amount of files and their average size you plan to keep synced?

Sync Support - thanks for getting back to me.

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question, but you can proceed with Sync + NAS in 2 ways:

1) Install Sync on NAS. Sync will deliver files to NAS and your users can access these files over SMB, FTP or any other means you got used to.

yes my goal was to have a folder sync from the main server to a folder on the NAS then have the users connect to the NAS in the remote office via AFP or SMB, So to them they would have a local connection. files need to be synced in both places.

2) Install Sync on some other client and force it to sync files to NAS over SMB/CIFS. Actually, bad idea. SMB works very differently than any file system, it's slower and our users often encounter issues with permissions and file notifications in such setups.

I would not do this...

As I mentioned above - you can run Sync on Syno. Although, one of the most often mistake in such setups is that admins installing Sync on NAS want it to be able to Sync millions of files and get surprised that NAS runs out of memory and CPU power. What is the amount of files and their average size you plan to keep synced?

Great question: The folder is 1.4TB of data on the OS X server. the folder info: 1.31 TB of data total.  Number of file 463993 Average size is a bit hard to figure out. Lots of design files so the average could be 10MB to 50 MB but some files even larger just can't guess at an average. The one upside is that the files over all don't change that much 

@Scott_m_Seifert

Sync is capable of doing with that amount of files and data, though note that Sync consumes around of 1..1.5 Kb of memory per file/folder depending on actual path length, so having 460K of files will result in 500..700Mb of memory consumed. If your NAS won't have enough memory, it will be unloaded to hard drive which will cause overuse of HDD and significant slowdown of whole NAS (including Sync, of course).