How to backup Encrypted Folder

Igor.Kh

Hi there, 

I've used Sync on Mac and Linux and now I'm experimenting with  Encrypted Folders. For now I've got a  folder on my Mac and it's encrypted remote copy on Linux server. I know that if I lose unencrypted source I will loose my data.

Which files should I backup to be able to restore an original copy (unencrypted) of a folder If it is possible. 

Edited by Igor.Kh

I tested this under BTS 2.3.3 and this is how it works.

If you use Encrypted folders and have 2 systems (1 w/encrypted data & 1 w/o encrypted data) and you "lose" the w/o encrypted one, AS LONG AS YOU have the key for "Read & Write" or "Read Only" (YOU MUST SAVE THIS BEFORE YOU LOSE THE w/o ENCRYPTED HOST) you can get your data back from the encrypted source. You can easily test this...

1) Setup an encrypted folder with 2 hosts ("encrypted" and "not")

2) shutdown the "not encrypted" host

3) add the "Read & Write" key into a brand new host and VIOLA your files come back.

-Ben

P.S. An Encrypted folder is really just READ ONLY and encryption. So, the "Read & Write" and "Read Only" keys are the decryption keys. Hence it works.