External Drives

QSync user here looking at Resilio solution.   I currently have multiple computers syncing the same data to their respective external drives as follows:

1. PC Desktop > NAS SSD (Mapped Network Drive)
  2. PC Laptop > USB SSD A
  3. Mac Laptop > USB SSD B
  4. Linux Desktop > USB SSD C

THE QUESTION: Occasionally, I would disconnected laptop USB SSD and do other work without it...Will this be a problem for Resilio Sync?  Do I need to manually pause syncing before disconnecting usb drives?

Sounds like you might want to check unison for your cases, I think it's a better solution than Resiio Sync.

With Resilio Sync Pro, you can sync with a local folder (including a mounted usb external drive):

Sharing a folder locally – Sync (resilio.com)

I didn't use this feature so I don't know if you need to pause syncing before dismounting usb external drives.

I’m not syncing to local folders. The data only resides on external ssds. Each computer has its own external ssd. After some initial testing, it seems to do okay. I unmounted my Macbook’s ssds successfully, and Sync seemed to recognize them when reattached. I will do some testing with windows too. an unexpected issue I encountered was with my QNAP NAS not being able to sync after initial successful connection, so I’m working on that now. 

I took a glance at unison, but what stands out about Resilio for me is the bittorrent protocol which allows multiple computers to contribute to the process. The speeds are better than I have seen with any other solution. Initial indexing and sync verification for 2 TB of data took less than 20 minutes. Good impression!

I collaborate with a lot of content creators, who look to me for solutions like these to help maintain a robust workflow without too much technical jargon and set up. So the sooner I figure out the best practices and verify resiliency, I can make a recommendation. 

I have the same issue. My computer has Resilio Sync installed, and the storage is an external HDD. When Resilio Sync is running and the disk is connected, everything works perfectly. However, if the disk is disconnected and Resilio Sync is still running, any changes made during this time will not be applied and will be missed. How can I ensure these changes are remembered and synchronized once the disk is connected again?

18 hours ago, mhubertm said:

I have the same issue. My computer has Resilio Sync installed, and the storage is an external HDD. When Resilio Sync is running and the disk is connected, everything works perfectly. However, if the disk is disconnected and Resilio Sync is still running, any changes made during this time will not be applied and will be missed. How can I ensure these changes are remembered and synchronized once the disk is connected again?

I haven't noticed that issue, but I will test a few more scenarios.  I'm running MacOS Sonoma and the latest Windows 11 update.  What OS version are you running? Are you on free or paid version?  Did you change any power user preferences?

• 2 months later...

Following up after a few months of use:  I have been using as described in the first post without any significant issues.  One small annoyance is that to "safety disconnect", I'd have to quit Sync app.  Honestly, most of the time I just quit other applications using the drives, then pull the plug. I get  a notification that the directory is missing, but no harm is done and I can't hide those.  After plugging back in, syncing resumes.  

Considering a concept not yet tested - I would rather consolidate Laptop SSDs and just use one set between systems (with respective Paragon file system drivers).  Sync seems to ignore its own hidden /.sync folder other than for getting config (ignore list, etc). So in my context, no matter which laptop I use with the same drive, it will sync the same files with my NAS and Desktops. The think the way to achieve this is Laptop A sync a parent folder, and Laptop B syncs immediate subfolders of the parent.  So their hidden sync/config folders are not in the same place...no conflict.

I'll get another drive to test this at some point, but other experiences are welcome.