Re-Install OS, backup/restore BT Sync?

Firstly, congrats to the team - this software fills a genuine need and easily outperforms any other option I've tried. And yet, we're told to regard it as alpha sotware - should we be nervous (today, we sync your PCs.... tomorrow, the world!)?

I have used it to sync my various media files (about 2Tb of ebooks, music, video, etc.) between 2 PCs. Last weekend, I re-formatted and re-installed OS and attendant sotware on both PCs.

Both PCs are now running Windows 8 x64. On both PCs, OS and software is on one drive, media on another (so, data only).

I am in the process of setting up BT Sync again and was wondering - is this necessary?

Is there a way to backup/restore BT Sync so one doesn't have to set it up again in such an instance?

In my case, my data is stored separately, I have the secrets originally generated and the .SyncID files are still present.

Is there a way to backup/restore BT Sync so one doesn't have to set it up again in such an instance?

If you backup the entire contents of the folder %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync, you can then install BitTorrent Sync on your re-installed OS, and then simply copy your backed-up %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder across to the corresponding location on your new OS, and you'll then be able to carry on with BitTorrent Sync right from where you left off! :)

So, in essence:

1) Copy the folder %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync to a USB Drive, or other external storage device

2) Re-installed your OS

3) Install BitTorrent Sync

4) Close down BitTorrent Sync (if running)

5) Copy across your backed-up data to %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync (overwriting the data already there)

6) Start BitTorrent Sync

Hi, GreatMarko, and thanks for the info.

I did consider doing that, but wasn't sure if it would be sufficient.

I backup my Appdata folder user Win8 FileHistory, so it should be a doddle in future.

This is another way BT Sync beats the pants off Live Mesh, Cubby, AeroFS, et al.

(Edit) Follow up remarks:

I tried this out and can confirm it works.

i had installed the latest version of BT Sync (1.0.130) and indexed all files.

I restored my system from a system image backup which did not include BT Sync install.

I intalled BT Sync, then copied over the Appdata I had backed up prior to restoring system image.

Everything worked as it should...