How to identify IP address of connecting machines?

jsavage

I have BTS set up between two machines. I am traveling and for some reason my DynDNS updater is not working. BTSyc connects fine, but I'm wondering if there is any way to figure out the IP address of the other machine while I'm away - I need to VNC in. I've tried netstat, but I'm not sure what options to use or what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're quick, each time you start BitTorrent Sync on Windows, the "Devices" tab will list connected devices as IP:Port numbers, before their actual names are resolved. This only lasts a couple of seconds, so you need to be quick!!

I do agree with you though, it would be very useful for a device's IP address to be shown (perhaps on a tooltip when "hovering" over a device name in the Devices tab?), primarily because at present, there's nothing preventing you from naming all your BitTorrent Sync devices the same - making them then indistinguishable in the Device list!!

If you turn on the debug log the IP addresses are shown in there.

There is a continual stream of packets directly between the peers, if your firewall/router will show you it's connection tracking tables, the peers are likely to stick out a bit. Though if you've turned DHT on there will be quite a bit of other noise.

Tcpdump, jnettop, wireshark and similar network monitoring tools can give you solid pointers too.

Lastly, in theory, if you're a programmer, it wouldn't be too difficult to send a query to the tracker too, the messages are quite simple bencode'd packets.