BTSync (Windows Server 2003) - Running as a service

Hello:

I have done some testing on BTSync between two servers - and everything works just fine. Ideally though I need BTSync to operate as a service (on Windows Server 2003) so that it can sync directories on the servers without anyone being logged in.

I see there are instructions in the forum relating to Windows Server 2008.

I am wondering: has anyone else tried and succeeded in running BTSync as a Windows Service? If so please confirm the method. I would be very grateful.

As a wish-list item - could this feature be added??

Any information welcome.

Tim Ecott.

Please read the unofficial FAQ - Running Sync natively as a service is planned, however there are also a number of user-contributed workarounds in the interim. If none of those work for you, do a general web search for "run exe as a service" - there are many tutorials available out there for converting an standard .exe into a Windows service

Hello again:

We have tried making BTSync.exe run as a windows service by using the nssm.exe option suggested in a post here. If this is set up on two servers, everything looks ok (task manager shows BTSync.exe running under administrator), but no synchronisation takes place at all. We access the servers by mapping a drive - so we can see the synced folders without logging in to the servers.

To get sync working, it is necessary to stop the service on each server and log in to use BTSync via the GUI. Then it works.

So - question again - do i have to supply parameters to btsync.exe to run in this way??

p.s. when btsync is running as a service, there appears to be no system tray icon for btsync showing when you log in (this icon appears when you start btsync from the desktop).

Has anyone got this working ??

Any information welcome...

So - question again - do i have to supply parameters to btsync.exe to run in this way??

There are no additional parameters/command line switches available for BitTorrent Sync on Windows at this time

p.s. when btsync is running as a service, there appears to be no system tray icon for btsync showing when you log in (this icon appears when you start btsync from the desktop).

Yes, other users have reported that there is no interface available using this particular method. Have you tried running as a service by one of the other methods mentioned? i.e. running a scheduled task upon startup?

Has anyone got this working ??

Again, do try some of the other various Windows-related suggestions in the previously indicated thread (such as running as a scheduled task), and do do a web search for "run exe as a service" as there are a wealth of different tutorials/apps to help you get .exe's running as a Windows service... but I'm afraid if none of those work for you, you'll just have to wait until the ability to run Sync natively as a service is implemented by the developers - but do add your voice for this feature to the Wishlist. Whilst it's already on the wishlist, and is planned by the developers, the more requests they see for "running as a service", the quicker it's likely to get implemented!

(...and FYI, the ability to run Sync as a Windows service is actually my number one request at the moment! ...I personally can't wait for it to be implemented!)

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have tried setting up a service using different methods - to no avail. However I have not tried the scheduled task method so that is next on my list.

Thank you for help - this app is <that close> to being the perfect fit for what we want to do...if we can just crack this service issue...