Listening Port: what for & how to set?

ZappoB

Hello community,

I'm using BTSync now on three local (LAN) devices (Mac mini / Macbook / Raspberry) and untill now it works well for me.

I'm just wondering, what the "Listening Port" is for, and how it should be set: on all devices the same port, or a different port for each device?

Thank you for any help.

in my case, i have an RPi behind a router with a dynamic ip.

and it just works, even without setting a listening port and port forwarding. i don't know why, but hey, it works. i guess this is the magic of the bittorrent-protocol :)

when you need other services to access your RPi from outside you LAN, google "dyndns".

I familiar to DynDNS, I'm using it right now, but I thought, this is not necessary for BTSync...

I'm not able to find an understandable description, how the clients have to be setup for WAN with all the possible settings.

Important for me: no one else than me should have access to my data than me!

as i said, for me it *just works*, without dyndns or any port settings.

and everyone who has the secrets has access, noone else.

Ok, thank you, I misunderstood your first answer, I thought it works with DynDNS, but you wrote "with dynamic IP".

If you're using predefined hosts, you NEED the port forwarding AND you need to use dyndns to have the public IP be always known.

Thank you also, I think I got it now - I'll do my testings these days.