Are there any limitations to offline file sharing?

we6jbo

Let's say I have computers 1, 2 & 3

Computer 1 is on and is sharing data.zip

Computer 2 is turned on and downloads data.zip

I then turn off Computer 1 and turn on Computer 3. I want to download data.zip to Computer 3. Will it be able to download the file from Computer 2 or will I need to turn on Computer 1 in order for it to download it?

Also; let's say I make changes to data.zip on Computer 2. Will those changes be reflected when I download them to Computer 3 or will I need to turn Computer 1 on first?

I then turn off Computer 1 and turn on Computer 3. I want to download data.zip to Computer 3. Will it be able to download the file from Computer 2 or will I need to turn on Computer 1 in order for it to download it?

Provided that Computer 2 has a complete copy of the file from Computer 1 before 1 goes offline, Computer 3 will be able to download the file from 2.

Also; let's say I make changes to data.zip on Computer 2. Will those changes be reflected when I download them to Computer 3 or will I need to turn Computer 1 on first?

The changes will be downloaded from 2 to 3, and then when 1's back online, they will also propagate to that computer as well (assuming that either 2 and/or 3 are still online when 1 comes back online)

Oh ok.

One more question.

I have one laptop, one desktop and a nexus1 phone. The laptop is what I use at home and do all my work on. The desktop is a family computer and other people may get on it and the nexus1 phone is what I take with me when I go out. When I leave to go out of the house, I powerdown and lockup my laptop in a case and I take my phone with me. Is there a way to have files on my laptop that are also synced to my desktop password protected so that I'm the only one that can access the files on the desktop and then I'd also want to remote sync the files from the desktop to my nexus1 phone.

Thanks.

One more question.

Is there a way to have files on my laptop that are also synced to my desktop password protected so that I'm the only one that can access the files on the desktop and then I'd also want to remote sync the files from the desktop to my nexus1 phone.

Sync won't "password protect" your files for you, you would need to use other methods/software to achieve this, which would depend upon the actual files you're syncing - for example, let's say you're syncing Excel workbooks - these can be password protected natively from within Excel itself. Alternatively, you could also look at compressed formats such as .zip and .rar, which allow you to password protect files... but of course, you'd need to find a solution that'll work across all your devices.

Now, you don't specify the operating system of your Desktop or Laptop, but I'm going to assume they're running Windows, in which case, provided other users aren't Administrators, you could simply specify a folder to sync that's within your own "My Documents", as other users of the Desktop/Laptop wouldn't have access to this, so no need to password protect the files themselves - you could sync them to your Nexus without other Desktop users accessing your files.

Either way, the bottom line is that BitTorrent Sync itself won't "password protect" your files.

Oh ok.

One more question.

I have one laptop, one desktop and a nexus1 phone. The laptop is what I use at home and do all my work on. The desktop is a family computer and other people may get on it and the nexus1 phone is what I take with me when I go out. When I leave to go out of the house, I powerdown and lockup my laptop in a case and I take my phone with me. Is there a way to have files on my laptop that are also synced to my desktop password protected so that I'm the only one that can access the files on the desktop and then I'd also want to remote sync the files from the desktop to my nexus1 phone.

Thanks.

You could try using a Truecrypt container. When it's unmounted, Sync should detect a change in the file and sync it to its peers. This being a beta, there may be issues to begin with, but I'm sure things will get worked out. In the long run, this could turn out to be the best way to backup data with Sync in a secure manner.